Staveley MW take advatange of Worksop Town defensive errors to defeat Tigers

Worksop Town v Staveley Miners Welfare, pictured is Steve Woolley
Worksop Town v Staveley Miners Welfare, pictured is Steve Woolley

Title-chasing Worksop Town’s good run came to an end as they were beaten 4-3 by Staveley MW.

Tigers were left counting the cost of their defensive errors and missed chances on a frustrating day for Mark Shaw’smen.

The first real chance of the game fell to Kyle Jordan, as the ball was played into him after a good move but his shot was well over the bar.

Tigers then had a nightmare couple of minutes. Firstly a ball over the top released Adam Scott who held off Jordan Cooke and slotted the ball home on 12 mins. Then a mistake from Jack Barnett allowed Jamie Brown in, who’s composed finish past Jon Kennedy made it 2-0 just a minute later.

More shaking defending almost saw another goal for Staveley, with a last ditch goal line clearance denying the visitors.

Then Cooke’s attempted back pass was much too short, and allowed Courtney Hastings in but he chipped wide when one on one.

Mitch Husbands had a great chance to pull a goal back for the hosts, holding off his defender well, despite having his shirt pulled inside the box, but saw his shot come back off the post.

A couple more chances followed as Tigers looked to get a goal before the break. Tom Elliott saw his deflected shot parried away by the keeper, before Hisbands drilled a shot over as Worksop pressed for a breakthrough.

Some good work from Steve Woolley earned himself a chance, but his left footed strike was tipped round the post as we went in 2-0 at the break.

Tigers started the second half at quite a pace, Ellott forcing a save from Cris Butt within the first minute. Then on 47 mins Simon More turned the ball into his own net to pull a goal back after a good move.

Substitute Conor Higginson then fizzed a shot wide, before Jordan saw his shot deflected into the keepers arms as Tigers pressed for the equalizer.

The good work at the start of the half was undone on 58 mins, as a nice move was clinically finished by Jamie York into the bottom corner to reopen the two goal lead.

Tigers tried to kick on again, forcing some more pressure on the Staveley goal as the action became end to end. Husbands and Higginson both having attempts while the visitors looked a constant threat on the break.

Jordan fizzed another shot wide before Conor Sellars drilled in a sublime free kick on 73 mins. The ball flying straight into the top corner with the keeper helpless.

Yet again though Staveley came back in what was an extremely open second half. Adam Scott grabbing his second goal after Worksop failed to clear their lines following another counter attack on 78 mins.

Tigers tried to respond yet again, Higginson firing at the keeper when well placed and Jake Scott’s long range effort easily held by Butt. Adam Scott had a chance for a hat trick shortly after from a fine solo run but shot wide.

The game turned again on 83 mins, after a fine through ball from Elliott released sub Chris Adam who expertly finished first time across the keeper into the bottom corner to make it 4-3.

Adam then created a chance for Sellars with a fine trough ball, who rounded the keeper but could only find the side netting.

Tigers tried to press for a equaliser, but their efforts were in vein as Staveley held on for the points.

Worksop: Kennedy, Woolley, Waddle, Barnett (Steade 46) Henshaw, Cooke (Higginson 46) Sellars, Jake Scott, Husbands (Adam 68), Jordan, Elliott.

Subs not used: Hobson, Fereday.

Staveley: Butt, Clarke, Leggitt (Walker 58) Pugh, Varley, More (Hardman 87( Adam Scott, Goodwin, Hastings (Ibrahim 68) York, Brown.

Subs not used: Damms, Watters.

Goals: Scott 12, 78, Brown 13, More OG 47, York 58, Adam 83.

Referee: Dave Plowright.

Attendance: 410