Shirebrook Town boost promotion hopes as Teversal’s 10 game search for a point goes on

editorial image

Shirebrook Town crushed Teversal 7-2 to heap further misery on their relegation-threatened neighbours.

The win keeps alive Town’s outside hopes of lifting the NCEL Division One title and means Teversal have now lost 10 in a row and have lost 17 of their last 18 matches.

Dean Short know he would be up against it taking charge of his deflated Teversal charges for the first time against a confident promotion-chasing side in Shirebrook Town.

But the quality and workmanlike showing from the visitors was worthy of their 7-2 victory and was a massive learning curve for Short and his management team about the Teversal squad and what they need to do to prevent relegation becoming a reality.

The writing was on the wall when Chambers in only the second minute was allowed to cut in from the left flank to drive into the penalty area to force Brooks in the home goal to make an excellent save down low to his left.

On 13 minutes Teversal was the master of their own downfall when Taylor played a ball to Short, whose weak back pass was intercepted by Johnson to clinically fire past Brooks to open the scoring.

It was 2-0 10 minutes later when Connor Smythe smashed home from 25 yards following a flowing move.

The game was all but dead and buried on 31 minutes when Morris headed home York’s free-kick.

It could have been worse for the home side when Luke Weaver drove forward to fire a measured effort that went marginally wide.

Teversal came into the second half like they had the shackles taken off and put the visitors under a bit of pressure.

They gave themselves hope when Jason Dawson fired home on 59 minutes after an excellent cross from Oliver Roome.

But Shirebrook hit back and made it 4-1 on 76 minutes when sub Kieron Watson scored with his first touch after Langley had lost the ball to York.


Teversal pulled one back when Hutchinson superbly turned and lobbed an effort that dropped just under bar to make it 4-2 on 77 minutes.

That opened the floodgates as Shirebrook made it 5-2 when Teversal’s inability to defend a set piece saw Morris given the time and space to head home Barnett’s free kick.

It was 6-2 on 83 minutes when Nelthorpe lobbed Brooks from long-rage, before Morris completed his hat-trick with two minutes to go.

TEVERSAL: Ryan Brooks, Gavin Short, Blake Vincent (Joe Toon 51), Paul Staniforth, Scott Taylor (Luke Pickering 64), Matt Langley, Aiden Harris (Greg Tobin 45), Sean Dickinson, Jason Dawson, Jack Hutchinson, Oliver Roome. Subs Not Used: Neil West, Toby Birch.

SHIREBROOK TOWN: Dale Sheppard, Ricky Hanson, Connor Smythe, Liam Nelthorpe, Steve Wankiewicz, Luke Weaver, Jamie York (Matt Sykes 58), Adam Shepherd (Jack Barnett 68), Liam Morris, Andre Johnson (Kieron Watson 75), Lewis Chambers. Subs Not Used: Christian Bark.

REFEREE: Matthew Bacon (South Yorkshire).


MAN OF MATCH: Teversal - Jason Dawson, Shirebrook Town: Liam Morris.