Selston beat Keyworth to lift the title

editorial image

Selston have been crowned champions of the Central Midlands Football League South Divison after being Keyworth United 3-2.

Selston were a little under strength with a few injuries, the club captain away and no recognised keeper, but they were still able to rack up their 24th win of a superb season.

Keyworth found themselves two goals up and a man down before the Parishioners found their feet and came back to win the tie.

The home side started with intent and put the pressure on the visitors,

Markel Bailey hit a shot from a tight angle against the cross bar, with stand-in keeper Cooke getting a vital touch.

Bailey was not to be denied when a soft free-kick given on the edge of the box after just 10 minutes was despatched into the top corner by the Keyworth winger to put the hosts one goal up.

A few untidy tackles and niggly passages were not dealt with by the referee and, on 29 minutes, Scott Lichfield – already on a yellow card - was shown a straight red card after lashing out at Daniel Henshaw.

The referee took fully six minutes to sort out the mess and seemed to be put straight by his linesman after an initial assessment of the situation.

However, instead of galvanising the champions elect, United seemed to take the initiative, with Selston failing to find the drive and desire that had got them so close to the title.

On 38 minutes another free-kick, all of 30 yards out this time was struck well by Ian Marley and it sailed into the top corner for 2-0 to the hosts.

Joe Riley was put away to poke towards goal for Selston’s only real attempt at goal in the first half but Cory Johnson got back to clear off the line.

Selston attempted to rally, with Sean Gregory and Dominic Airey coming close but the Keyworth goal remained intact until half-time.

Selston came out for the second half and were quickly back in the game.

Jamie Renshaw swung in a corner and Shaun Farnsworth rose above all others to head home to make it 2-1 just two minutes in.

Just four minutes after the Parishioners were back on terms, Carl Moore beat two players in the middle of the park with clever feet and Airey raced away and finished with aplomb to make it 2-2.

The comeback was definitwly on now, with Selston penning Keyworth back in their own half.

Airey again proved key, beating several players with a dazzling run in the box and winning a penalty after being tripped in the penalty area.

Again handbags were on show and Airey, for his part saw red and lost the opportunity to take the spot kick.

Carl Moore stepped up and smashed the penalty away to put the visitors in the lead.

Selston made several other chances but failed to add to the score but sealed the three points after a nervy last few minutes and are to be crowned as champions.