Glapwell close in on title after hammering sorry Welbeck 23-1


Glapwell created all sorts of new records on Saturday as they beat Welbeck Welfare by 23-1 at Hall Corner.

Top against bottom coming into it, a home win was heavily fancied but even the margin of this victory could not have been anticipated as Glapwell absolutely blew their club record league victory, created only last week, out of the water.

11-0 up at half-time, Glapwell scored a further 12 in the second period, Welbeck’s cause not helped by the harsh sending off of their keeper after conceding a penalty that led to the ninth goal after only 32 minutes.

There were plenty of further personal milestones created from this game as well that will be listed at the bottom of this report.

Glapwell now need just six points to seal the title.

Glapwell made five changes from last week’s 12-0 thrashing of Thorne Colliery with Mitchell Mullins, Jack Hutchinson and Derrick Miller left out while Adam Barratt and Jordan Jones dropped down to the bench. There was a first start since November for Lee Naughton who was at the heart of the defence alongside Josh Clayton while there were also returns to the starting line-up for Sam Bartram, Sean Gardner and Jake Ballinger.

Glapwell were always expected to come out flying in this one and that is indeed what they did as they took the lead after only 105 seconds when the ball fell to Ryan Cancellara on the edge of the area and his low shot curled into the bottom corner.

Some of the football again was truly breathtaking but after only six minutes Glapwell’s advantage was extended further when Lee Naughton struck the near post before Jake Ballinger finished off the rebound from ten yeards out.

Glapwell still weren’t to be stopped there, though, and they could have been three up after only eight minutes but Josh Parfitt fired over the bar under pressure from a covering defender.

On ten minutes, though, Glapwell did score for the third time when Cancellara played a great ball over to the back post where Josh Scully brilliantly volleyed the ball into the far corner to keep up his record of scoring in every game so far.

Three goals to the good after only ten minutes, this was now set to be exactly what it turned out to be at the end and before the quarter-hour mark, Glapwell added a fourth when Adam Kimberley smashed an effort home from 25 yards.

From this point on, the demolition job really kicked in and it could have been five just seconds later when Daniel Russell’s cross from the left found Jake Ballinger but he was denied by a brilliant save by visiting keeper Andrew Sipson.

A delivery from the right hand side then took a deflection in the middle and fell to Josh Clayton at the back post but he couldn’t keep his effort down and it flew well over the bar.

But on 20 minutes, it was five as Adam Kimberley was brought down in the area for the first of three penalties that Glapwell would be awarded in the space of only 12 minutes.

Daniel Russell stepped up and rolled the ball to the keeper’s right to break a new club record himself by scoring in his eighth successive league game.

Glapwell still weren’t finished there, on 24 minutes it was six as good play by Scully and Russell on the left hand side saw the latter cut the ball back to Josh Parfitt who turned a defender and smashed the ball home from six yards out.

Six goals in 24 minutes by six different scorers showed what a first quarter of the game Glapwell had produced and they added number seven on 26 minutes as Adam Kimberley set up a chance for Jake Ballinger who turned and finished at the near post from six yards out.

Before the half hour was even up, Glapwell scored number eight as they were awarded their second penalty; this time after Josh Parfitt was fouled inside the area.

Like the last spot-kick, Daniel Russell stepped up and produced the same result by rolling the ball home into the same corner.

And before the visitors could compose themselves after that latest set-back they were handed their most significant one of the afternoon as a third Glapwell penalty was awarded on 31 minutes when Parfitt ran clean through before being brought down by Welbeck keeper Andrew Sipson.

The referee decided that Sipson had to go as he was the last man; by the letter of the law a correct decision but it was hard not to feel any sympathy for the visitors at that stage and a yellow might have been sufficient but it left the visitors with the task of playing against a rampant Glapwell side for an hour with ten men.

Daniel Russell, though, made it a hat-trick of penalties inside 12 minutes as he yet again produced the same result into the same corner.

Russell then scored his fourth on 34 minutes as he curled the ball into the far bottom corner as Glapwell reached double figures in style.

They weren’t even finished there for the first period as Jake Ballinger scored a hat-trick of his own on 38 minutes by finished well into the far corner from just inside the area.

It could very well have been 12 before the break when a great ball over the top by Josh Scully saw Josh Parfitt clean through but he was denied by the Welbeck stand-in keeper.

But an 11-goal advantage at the break and with Welbeck having to play the entire second half with only ten men, there would be genuine concerns amongst everyone what the final outcome could actually be.

Glapwell came out flying again and they could have scored again only 16 seconds into the second period but the keeper again made two good saves, firstly to deny Jake Ballinger and then Adam Kimberley on the rebound.

On 51 minutes, though, Kimberley made no mistake as he set himself from 25 yards and smashed the ball home into the corner for number 12.

But, on 57 minutes, Welbeck got themselves on the score sheet and, in fairness, they deserved at least something for their afternoon as a ball over the top saw Ricky Crowder race clear and lift the ball over Ryan Hopkins with the ball just about rolling over the line via the inside of the far post.

It was a good moment for the visitors but Glapwell restored the 12-goal margin just two minutes later as a good team move saw Russell lay the ball off to Kimberley who brilliantly finished again from outside the area to complete his first Glapwell hat-trick.

Two minutes later, it was 14 as Josh Parfitt turned on the edge of the area and fired an effort low into the far corner for his second of the afternoon.

Glapwell then made a double substitution and just three minutes later their lead was extended again as Danny Fullwood helped himself to a debut goal, only 12 minutes after coming on, as he won the ball back in a dangerous area and just about beat the keeper with his effort.

Some good play by Sam Bartram down the right then created a chance for Ryan Cancellara to double his personal tally of the afternoon but he fired well over the bar off balance inside the area.

With just over 20 minutes remaining, it was 16-1 as Josh Scully brilliantly created a chance for Jordan Jones who took a touch and finished well from ten yards for his first goal of the afternoon; on what was his 50th appearance for the club, his 14th goal in that time as well.

Just a minute later, Josh Parfitt became the fourth different player to score a hat-trick on the day as he fired low into the corner from just outside the area. Another milestone from that goal being Parfitt’s 50th for the club, in only his 48th appearance.

But still, Glapwell showed no signs of easing off and they scored their 18th of the afternoon on 72 minutes when Danny Fullwood and Sam Bartram linked up well and Bartram then picked out Jake Levers in acres of space on the left hand side and he took a touch before firing home for his first Glapwell goal.

Number 19 arrived on 76 minutes when good work by Josh Scully and Jordan Jones saw the latter cut the ball back to Josh Clayton who finished well at the near post to get himself on the scoresheet having been pushed up front for the final 20 minutes.

He then added his second, and Glapwell’s 20th, with ten minutes remaining when he held off a defender on the edge of the area before finishing into the top corner.

The final ten minutes saw another three goals added, the first of which was Jake Levers’ second of the afternoon when he swept the ball home from a cross from the left.

Levers was then nearly the creator for what would have been a Josh Clayton hat-trick but he blazed the ball over the bar from six yards when he really should have scored.

But, with four minutes left Glapwell scored their 22nd when Danny Fullwood’s ball from the right fell for Josh Parfitt who beat a defender before finishing well for his fourth of the afternoon.

Jordan Jones could have got himself on the scoresheet again but he blazed a shot over at the back post after a free-kick had been flicked into the path.

The scoring was finally rounded off on 89 minutes, though, when Danny Fullwood played in Josh Parfitt who unselfishly squared the ball back to Josh Clayton who was denied by the keeper but the loose ball fell to Josh Scully who had a simple finish.

A resounding victory then for Glapwell who created all sorts of new records during the game, but more importantly another three points that increases their position at the top as they close in on the title.

Second placed Phoenix’s surprise 5-1 home defeat to Thorne now means that Glapwell need only two more victories to secure their first league title since 1994.

As previously mentioned, Josh Parfitt scored his 50th Glapwell goal in only his 48th appearance after scoring his 36th league goal of the season.

Jordan Jones made his 50th appearance for the club after coming off the bench in the second half, managing to score his 14th goal for the club during that time.

An even greater achievement for Ryan Hopkins, though, who made his 100th appearance for the club during the game. ‘Hoppo’ has been a great servant for the club with some fantastic performances in goal, keeping 24 clean sheets, since his arrival at the club at the end of 2012.

Daniel Russell also broke a club record by scoring in his eighth consecutive league game, also taking his individual tally past 20 for the season.

The final scoreline also took our goal difference for the season over the +100 and means that we have now scored 43 goals in our last three matches which is a truly remarkable achievement and has taken our tally for the season to 129 league goals in 23 matches.

These sorts of results are never too enjoyable but we wish to praise Welbeck for their attitude and commitment, yes the result was far from ideal for them but they didn’t show any dissent and stuck to the task right throughout the 90 minutes and they deserve a massive amount of credit for that as there would be other teams that wouldn’t have shown that sort of attitude.

There will be, and indeed has been, people that will question the credibility of such a result and while these results are very few and far between throughout football, a team can only ever play and compete against what is up against them.

It is fair to say that we can’t take too much pleasure in such a scoreline but under the circumstances we had to remain professional and stick to our own jobs which we did well without feeling the need to completely humiliate our visitors in terms of sportsmanship, those people that will question it will do well to remember that their own teams would do exactly the same under the circumstances!!!

Glapwell: Ryan Hopkins, Sam Bartram, Sean Gardner, Ryan Cancellara, Lee Naughton, Josh Clayton, Adam Kimberley (Jake Levers 61), Josh Scully, Josh Parfitt, Daniel Russell (Jordan Jones 61), Jake Ballinger (Danny Fullwood 52). Subs not used: Adam Barratt, Ross Murcott

Glapwell Man of the Match: Daniel Russell

Goals: Cancellara 4, Ballinger 6, 26, 38, Scully 10, 89, Kimberley 14, 51, 59, Russell 20pen, 29pen, 32pen, 34, Parfitt 24, 61, 70, 86, Fullwood 64, Jones 69, Levers 72, 82, Clayton 76, 80

Welbeck: Andrew Sipson, Jacob Reeve, Stef Wainwright, Matt Lowe, Steve McGurk, Tom Wagg, Luke Quelcuti (Tom Green 75), Josh Fletcher, Robbie Savage, Josh Thorpe, Ricky Crowder. Subs not used: Ryan Harris, Chris Hufton

Yellow Cards: Bartram (Glapwell) 58

Red Cards: Sipson (Welbeck) 32

Referee: Dave Holbrook (Chesterfield)