Clay Cross overcome Glapwell in entertaining local derby


League leaders Clay Cross Town overcame Glapwell 4-3 in an entertaining local derby.

Glapwell made a poor start and found themselves behind after only five minutes when a corner from the left was headed home by Ryan Booker.

But after a slow start, Glapwell began to grow in confidence and they were on level terms on 23 minutes when Daniel Russell played in Callum Dovison, who kept his composure to finish well from just inside the area.

The game was soon turned on its head, though, as Glapwell took the lead for the first, and only, time of the afternoon when Josh Thomas laid the ball off to Adam Barratt, whose shot from the edge of the area somehow found its way into the top corner.

Unfortunately, the lead lasted only two minutes as another corner resulted in a headed goal as Barry Alberry finished from a couple of yards out.

Another corner then led to Glapwell’s downfall as this time the ball struck a hand with the referee pointing to the spot with Ryan Ordridge sending Ryan Hopkins the wrong way.

Glapwell still managed to fight back, though, and went into the break on level terms when Neil Grayson and then Callum Dovison flicked on Ash Grayson’s free-kick into the path of Daniel Russell, who headed into the far corner from eight yards.

The second half didn’t really live up to the first with Glapwell going close through Neil Grayson, while Ryan Hopkins denied James Whitfield at the other end.

On 74 minutes the winning goal came from another penalty which was awarded to Clay Cross for Ross Murcott’s challenge on James Whitfield.

Whitfield, who only joined Clay Cross after leaving Hall Corner last week, stepped up himself and tucked home the spot-kick.

Things were to get worse for Glapwell with eight minutes remaining when Lee Naughton was shown a second yellow card for a late challenge.

Both sides had chances to score in the final minute as firstly Whitfield went through for the hosts but saw his shot smothered by Hopkins while at the other end Ash Grayson had the final chance but fired straight at home keeper Ben Townsend.