Buxton 0-4 AFC Fylde - match report

Buxton FC v Fylde (white), Neil Stevens
Buxton FC v Fylde (white), Neil Stevens

Buxton succumbed to a sixth consecutive defeat last weekend, as AFC Fylde ran riot at the Silverlands.

It was a surprise that the game went ahead at all, but a pitch inspection earlier in the day was passed and the surface was deemed playable by the referee.

Buxton FC v Fylde (white), Craig King

Buxton FC v Fylde (white), Craig King

Fylde, who had won their previous five outings, started the brighter and it wasn’t long before Matty Blinkhorn unleashed the first effort of the day.

Buxton then found their footing and could have taken the lead only for the woodwork to deny Derek Niven’s glancing header, which took an age to come back off a post.

Lee Morris then drew a foul from Fylde skipper Matt Hughes who was the last man back and he was subsequently booked for an obstruction when the hosts were appealing for a much harsher punishment.

Craig King then flashed an effort over before the visitors hit Buxton on the counter-attack.

Danny Lloyd-McGoldrick broke away down the right flank and after a one-two he slotted underneath the onrushing Andy Warrington.

The goal was a bitter blow to the Bucks, who had kept the visitors’ attacking to a premium up until that point.

Driving rain and strong winds greeted the players upon their return after the break and Buxton almost drew level immediately but King was denied by a spectacular one-handed save by Ben Hinchliffe.

Boss Martin McIntosh then suffered another blow when leading scorer Morris went down injured for a lengthy spell before being replaced by Jacob Hazel after being unable to continue.

The second goal arrived shortly after as Lloyd-McGoldrick’s corner got the slightest of touches by sub Matt Barnes on its way in.

By this point Fylde were in the ascendency and Blinkhorn’s effort with the outside of the foot just cleared the left-hand post.

The third goal came after a quick breakaway as Buxton were caught with too many bodies going forward.

Lloyd-McGoldrick confirmed his man-of-the-match performance with a blistering effort from the left, which flew beyond Warrington.

Formalities were then completed with the fourth as Andy Russell tapped in from a corner to confirm a forgettable day at the office for the Bucks.

Bucks: Warrington, Green, Ryan, Palmer, Stevens, Istead, Harris, Niven, Thornhill (Reed 53), King, Morris (Hazel 64)