Alfreton Town climb table after third successive win

MIDLANDS Regional Alliance round-up.
MIDLANDS Regional Alliance round-up.

Alfreton Town climbed to ninth spot in the Vanarama National League North with their third successive win, as Hednesford Town were summarily despatched at the lmpact Arena on Saturday.

With Todd Jordan injured there was a place at the back for Sam Berry, with Joe Leesley given the responsible he relished of captaincy.

The Reds were given an early boost when Kyle Perry unnecessarily impeded Tom Allan in the ninth minute, which led to Jordan Robertson calmly slotting the ensuing penalty low into the corner of the Hednesford net.

Second half goals from Jamie Jackson and a brace from Sam Jones sealed a most convincing victory, the latter currently top scorer for the Reds with three goals, Hednesford only really going close in the 68th minute when Andy Todd’s bye-line cross was hooked against the crossbar by Sean Williams.

Jackson’s goal was a stooping near post header from a Leesley free-kick, after the Reds’ skipper had been scythed down by Williams on a right flank run in the 62nd minute.

Jones made the score 3-0 on 74 minutes when he slammed the ball past visiting keeper Dave Parton after Robertson had flicked on Niall Heaton’s long throw, and the midfielder’s towering header from Leesley’s corner completed the scoring 11 minutes from time.

The only down-side to the afternoon, from an Alfreton perspective, was the withdrawal of John Johnston just before half-time after the winger had needed extended treatment on the field.

Parton had needed to tip over a superbly struck Leesley free-kick as early as the third minute, with Tom Allan heading over from the resultant corner, then Heaton went close after a menacing central run.

Alfreton survived a couple of Hednesford free-kicks right on the edge of the area, then had a let-off when a wayward back-pass allowed Ahmed Obeng to gain possession, but his finish from a gilt-edged position was woeful.

As the first half drew to a conclusion Berry headed inches wide from another Leesley corner, then seven minutes after the break Jackson could have done better than guiding the ball into the keeper’s custody after infiltrating the Pitmen’s rearguard and advancing along the bye-line.

Ryan Wilson blazed over from Leesley’s 54th minute free-kick, then towards the end Jackson dragged his shot wide when played through by Leesley, but by then Alfreton were basking in the luxury of a 4-0 advantage.

ALFRETON: Duke; Moyo, Galinski, Allan, Berry, Heaton (Paling 87 mins), Wilson, Leesley, Jones, Johnston (Jackson 43 mins), Robertson (lronside 80 mins).

Subs not used: Thanoj, Draper.

Att: 572.