Former Nottingham Forest and Derby County striker Nathan Tyson will have to be 'patient' for Chesterfield chance

Nathan Tyson will have to be ‘patient’ as he awaits his first appearance of the new season, says manager James Rowe.

Tuesday, 21st September 2021, 7:49 pm

The experienced striker, who turns 40 next May, has not been involved in any of the seven matchday squads so far.

The former Nottingham Forest and Derby County man, who scored the goal which secured the Spireites’ play-off place last season, signed a new one-year contract in the summer.

Tyson has made no secret of his desire to play professional football until he is 40 and then he will hang up his boots.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Nathan Tyson pictured in action in pre-season against Grimsby Town.

But despite not making a contribution on the field this campaign, Rowe is pleased with his work off the pitch.

"He is just not involved at the minute,” Rowe told the DT.

"He is training really well, he is in really good spirits and he is positive around the camp.

"He deserved his deal this season and he will play his part, I am sure, but he is playing his part as it is off the field.

"He is a real credit to himself as a professional and he just needs to be patient at the moment.”

If he does retire at the end of this season Tyson will have been in the game for an impressive 20 years.

He has been capped by England at youth level and won promotion with Forest from League One.

Speaking earlier this year in May, Tyson said: “I want another promotion, my wife gets sick and tired of me saying it but I just want to get that extra one.”