Five star Selston close in on second league title

Selston maintained their unbeaten run since the turn of the year with a 5-0 win over Keyworth United in CMFL South.

Wednesday, 15th March 2017, 4:49 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:56 am

The Parishioners, despite picking up a fifth league win in six matches in 2017, sit second in the table two points and two games behind leaders Eastwood.

Mid-table Swanwick PR, Pinxton and Southwell City are all the three teams that stand in Selston’s way from collecting a second consecutive league championship.

Last Saturday’s task seemed on paper at least to be straightforward enough for the reigning champions against a Keyworth side without a win in 18 matches.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Yet, as the Keyworth men showed last season when Selston had to really battle to get the three points to claim the title, they can makes things extremely difficult.

Selston though started well - scoring four of the five in the first half - and were aided by a United sending off, which scuppered all hopes of a fightback.

The home side took the lead when Sean Gregory was fouled inside the penalty area and Ben Moore smashed the resulting spot kick high into the net for his 12th of the season.

The red card for the visitors came after 20 minutes, Brett Solza earning his marching orders apparently for foul and abusive language directed at the referee.

Selston’s skipper added insult to injury. United cleared a corner but Moore was on hand on the edge of the box to control with his right and lash the ball with his left into the roof of the net to make it 2-0.

A patient passing spell ended with the ball being spread from left to right from Wayne Cooke, via Moore and out to Robbie Manners, who’s excellent cross was headed in at the far post by Cooke, ending the move he started.

Similar patience, wide play and aerial ability saw the fourth goal before half time. This move began with Moore in the middle, who spread to Gregory wide right, his deep cross was met forcefully by Kane Hempshall at the back stick to completely deflate Keyworth.

The home side made two changes at half time; Jamie Renshaw and Carl Moore replacing Daniel Henshaw and Ben Moore, respectively.

Keyworth made a better fist of defending after the break – and perhaps Selston slowed a little with the alteration to the side - however, the hosts had the lion’s share of possession and did make a few chances.

Carl Moore went close with a strong header that John Stanley in the visitors’ goal saved well. Another sub Timmy Moore brought the best out of Stanley with a speculative volley.

Selston finished the scoring off on 85 minutes when a good ball from Cooke picked out Elliott Jones’ well timed run into the box and he beat Stanley to stab home.

Selston have a CMFL League Cup semi-final on March 25 at South Normanton’s Lees Lane ground.