David Cameron strikes late to deny Clay Cross United

David Cameron would break the hearts of Clay Cross United who were just eight minutes away from their first win of the season when he equalised for Barlow Kingston Rover in this HKL Division Four encounter at Furnace Hill.

Sunday, 1st November 2020, 8:30 pm
Clay Cross United were eight minutes away from a first win.

With the league’s fixtures likely to be suspended after this weekend the morning started in a sombre and respectful note as both sides observed an immaculate silence for next Sunday's Remembrance Day.

The two strugglers produced lots of first half effort but there was little in the line of goal mouth threat although for the visitors, Barlow, Tom Grant was to the fore with his ability to take on the home defence while for 'the cross' Gary Siddall hit the bar.

But we arrived at half time without troubling the score sheet and with both sides determined to enjoy this game before the forecast season break the second half turned into a cracker with three goals in the opening fifteen minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The sweetest of moves gave United the lead Lewis Dickens found a pin point cross that was superbly chested down by frontman Matt Walsh and Ben Goodwin swept the ball home after fifty minutes.

Barlow were up for matching the quality goals column when just shy of the hour mark they were awarded a free kick 25 yards out and Will Eaton lifted the ball over the wall and into the Clay Cross net despite the despairing dive of the keeper.

Within a few minutes though United were back in the lead when provider Dickens this time turned scorer when he powered through and slotted past the out coming Tom Brown.

It would be the visitor's keeper, Brown, who would set up the point for Barlow when Clay Cross were awarded a free kick thirty yards out and Antony Brown lined the dead ball up superbly, it looked like a goal before a wonderful save by the keeper.

The game opened up even more now but it was Barlow who were looking to level they struck the bar with a lob over the keeper before Cameron popped up with that equaliser to deny Clay Cross.

Clay Cross remain at the foot of the table but they have now picked up their first point of the season.