Spireites match report: Chesterfield FC 2 Rochdale 1

editorial image

A brace of penalties from Eoin Doyle gave Chesterfield a comfortable 2-1 win over Rochdale in their first home game of the 2014/15 League One season.

Doyle converted one in either half against two different goalkeepers to make it back-to-back league victories for the Spireites and maintain his scoring streak.

Following goals on the opening day in the league and midweek in the cup, the Irishman chalked up his third and fourth of the campaign at the Proact Stadium.

Ian Henderson pulled one back for Dale in the ninth minute of injury time after Ian Evatt was adjudged to have handled a shot at point-blank range.

An injury to Ritchie Humphreys, who will be out for up to eight weeks, meant Paul Cook was forced into making a change from Tuesday night’s Capital One Cup unforgiving 5-3 defeat to Huddersfield Town.

Jay O’Shea was chosen to fill the left midfield void, as Gary Roberts continued to operate behind the lone front man in Cook’s preferred 4-2-3-1.

The two teams had drawn twice last season in the league by the same scoreline (2-2), which included a late comeback from Dale in the encounter at the Proact.

Chesterfield were unlucky not to take an early lead with Doyle, fresh from a one-year extension to his contract, twice hitting the woodwork for the hosts.

His first came after a Romuald Boco flick fell in to his path, the striker lofted a cross-come-shot to the back post which skimmed the top of the cross bar.

His second came moments after Tommy Lee had been tested by a dipping Ian Henderson free-kick when the Irishman picked the pocket of Rhys Bennett.

Doyle stepped inside and curled an effort looking for the far corner, which had Josh Lillis well beaten, only to be denied by the frame of the goal.

The danger was not fully cleared and, when Sam Morsy put the ball back in to the danger zone, Doyle saw his shot deflected wide of Lillis’ left hand post.

The Spireites were looking the most likely to break the deadlock against a side who was promoted alongside them from League two last season.

Gary Roberts, Jay O’Shea and Doyle linked up well down the left before Morsy saw his effort blocked by a last ditch block by Tom Kennedy on the slide.

Tommy Lee had largely been a spectator for the majority of the first half, but had to recover quickly when Calvin Andrew blocked his attempted clearance.

The Chesterfield keeper - in a foot race with the former Mansfield Town striker - was first to the looping ball to collect just yards from his own goal line.

Matt Done had home hearts in mouths when he smashed a half volley which missed Lee’s right hand post by a whisker, while O’Shea tested Lillis at the other end with a rasping drive from distance.

And it wasn’t long before the Spireites deservedly took the lead when Joe Rafferty tripped O’Shea in the box after the Blues’ number 10 had tricked his way past.

Doyle was charged with the responsibility and he made no mistake from the spot, despite Lillis getting his fingertips to the ball for his third in as many games.

Andrew directed a header over Lee’s bar after good work from Done before the break in a first half which had seen Chesterfield dominate the visitors.

The Spireites hit the post for a third time during the match just five minutes in to the second half when Lillis made a calamity clearance after collecting a Roberts cross.

The ball fell kindly for Morsy, who let fly from 25 yards, only to see his powerful effort rebound off the inside of the post. Boco followed up before substitute Hery pinched the ball off Roberts as he set himself.

Chesterfield continued to flood forward and when Jimmy Ryan bombed forward, his attempted link up with Roberts saw the ball fall to Doyle whose shot was saved.

It would prove to be Lillis’ last action as an injury meant he was soon replaced by 16-year-old Jon Diba Musangu, who was making his professional debut. It could have been short-lived, however, when he raced out of his goal to clear a long pass over the top only to handle the ball outside his area.

The referee, Carl Boyeson, though gave the teenager a yellow rather than a red much to the dismay of the home faithful inside the Proact Stadium.

Diba was soon picking the ball out of the back of his net when Doyle was given another chance to score from 12 yards after he was tripped by Rhys Bennett.

The Dale defender was cautioned. Doyle picked himself up and went the opposite way to his earlier penalty but regardless the end result was the same.

Doyle came close to a third when he was slotted through on goal only for Diba to make a strong reaction save down to his right hand side before Morsy followed up wide. Boco, similarly, in injury time.

The visitors pressed late on and pulled a goal back through Henderson’s penalty, in the ninth minute of injury time, as Chesterfield made sure there was no late drama this time around.

Chesterfield (4-2-3-1): Lee; Darikwa, Evatt (c), Hird, Jones; Morsy, Ryan (Onovwigun 90+); Boco (Banks 90), Roberts, O’Shea (Gnanduillet 84); Doyle.

Subs not used: Chapman, Raglan, Johnson, Dawes.

Rochdale (4-1-4-1): Lillis (Diba Musangu 60); Rafferty, Bennett, Tanser (Donnelly 75), Kennedy; Dawson; Bunney, Lund (Hery HT), Done, Henderson (c), Andrew.

Subs not used: Eastham, Allen, Logan, Camps.

Bookings: Roberts 19; Diba Musangu 71, Bennett 73

Referee: Carl Boyeson (Hull)

Attendance: 5,682 (405).