Spireites FT: Morecambe 4 Chesterfield 3

editorial image

What a game and what disappointment for Spireites who led 3-0 at half-itme but then lost 4-3.

Paul Cook was under no illusions over the difficulty of today’s task and he came out ahead of the teams to show his appreciation for the away support at the Globe Arena.

Morecambe, who boast an unbeaten record at home, almost took the lead in the opening minute of the game. Williams’ delivery was almost met by Ellison, who was only a matter of inches away from making a connection that would have almost certainly beaten Lee from six yards.

But it was Chesterfield who were first to strike when a hopeful ball forward from O’Shea inside right towards DOYLE was missed by the covering defender Parrish. It proved to be a costly mistake as the Irishman confidently slotted the ball past Roche for his thir d goal of the campaign.

The Spireites almost doubled their advantage moments later when McSheffrey latched on to Humphreys’ throw in. He controlled and turned in one movement, before he unleashed a right-footed volley that narrowly missed Roche’s left hand post from the edge of the area.

And, in a whirlwind first 10 minutes, Cook’s side did stretch their lead when McSHEFFREY got his first for the club in his first start. Darikwa guided past two defenders with ease before he cut the ball back from the byline for McSheffrey to slot the ball in from eight yards.

Morecambe looked dangerous from set pieces and a Williams’ next corner caused Chesterfield further confusion inside the six yard box. Hughes made connection this time but was unable to generate any power with his diving header.

Ellison fired a left-footed shot from the edge of the area just past Lee’s left hand post, via a deflection.

Chesterfield looked menacing going forward and extended their lead with Doyle’s second of the game in a devastating opening 30 minutes by Cook’s side.

A driving run from Morsy presented DOYLE with the ball just inside the box. The striker battled his way through a handful of half-hearted challenges before he expertly lifted the ball over the on-rushing Roche in a finish that even had the home support clapping.

Lee was forced into his first save of the match, comfortably holding Hughes’ header.

by the Spireites keeper.

Another flowing move from the visitors saw Darikwa with a glorious chance to make it four, but Roche was equal to his shot to turn the ball around the corner at his near post.

Chesterfield had a strong penalty claim when O’Shea’s goal-bound shot seemed to strike the arm of a Morecambe defender but the referee remained unmoved. The attack wasn’t over and Morsy tried to place one in the corner that was deflected behind with Roche rooted to the spot.

Amond should have pulled a goal back for Morecambe minutes before the break when he latched on to Hughes’ through ball, but the striker was thwarted by Lee, who was quick off his line and spread himself well to make a crucial stop.

Chesterfield couldn’t have made a worse start to the second half. A hooked ball forward from Amond behind Evatt saw ELLISON bundle the ball past Lee from within the six yard box. Amond could have brought the hosts right back into the game when he jumped highest to meet Williams’ left wing cross. His header took a deflection and from the resulting corner Sampson lifted a half-volley high over the cross bar.

Doyle, on a hat-trick. ghosted behind the Morecambe central defenders and nodded the ball back to O’Shea who, with the goal at his mercy, sliced his left-footed shot wide of the mark.

Morecambe looked a completely different side biq and pulled another goal back on the hour-mark through HUGHES, who showed good strength before lashing a shot past Lee from close range.

The home side went in search of an equaliser and Lee bravely dived at the feet of Amond. And Lee made another vital stop when he palmed Diagne’s diving header away, SAMPSON levelled when he crept in at the back post at full stretch to force Williams’ free kick in off the far post.

Doyle, forced a good save from Roche and then came close to grabbing his third but Morecambe took the lead in the 85th-minute when AMOND directed Sampson’s left wing cross into the far corner, giving Lee no chance.