Spireites FT: Fleetwood Town 1 Chesterfield 1

Eoin Doyle
Eoin Doyle
Share this article

Chesterfield were hit by a late goal after taking the lead through Liam Cooper in League Two’s match of the day.

Crowther showed good feet down the left and crossed for Matt to head just wide of Lee’s left hand post.

The hosts found further pockets of space when Crowther intercepted on halfway and played the ball up to Matt. The striker shifted the ball wide to Brown who cut in on his left foot and hit a low shot that Lee comfortably held diving to his left.

Sarcevic would have felt as though he should have tested Lee moments later when a ball into the box by Murdoch saw the midfielder with a sight of goal, but he was unable to keep his header down.

Spireites started to settle and after two corners that were easily dealt with by Fleetwood’s keeper Davies, Ryan whipped in a dangerous free-kick that attracted three black shirts. Davies punched half-clear but when the ball broke for Humphreys Sarcevic was quick to dispossess the 35-year-old as he looked to get a shot off.

Chesterfield had sight of goal once more when Porter rose highest to meet a ball in from the right, but the striker on loan from Sheffield United sent his header harmlessly over the bar.

An inviting centre from Crowther saw Sarcevic hit a first time volley from 25 yards that sailed a whisker over Lee’s bar.

A cross from the left tempted two red shirts but found the back post where Cooper, rather than clearing from danger under pressure, brought the ball down and nudged the ball across goal into space to clear.

Lee was scrambling across goal to push a Hughes thunderbolt from distance away from goal that Cooper cleared first time.

Chesterfield came closest to scoring when Darikwa picked the ball up midway into Fleetwood’s half and unleashed a rasping drive towards the top corner that Davies pushed acrobatically around the post.

Fleetwood had Cresswell to thank moments later for keeping the game goalless when he was in the right place at the right time to clear off the line from Humphreys’ back post drive.

A neat move from right to left saw Crowther cut in from the touchline and force a save from Lee and, in reply, Morsy tested Davies from distance.

Pond had the ball in the back of the net minutes before half-time but his crisp volley was ruled out for offside from Hughes’ set piece.

But it was Spireites who had the last chance of the half when Porter beat his marker in the air to meet Humphreys’s corner and, when Hird looked like he was going to nod the visitors ahead, Davies caught the ball off his forehead.

Porter should have put Chesterfield ahead just after the re-start when he was first to pounce after Darikwa’s shot was saved, but the striker shot wide from close range with the goal gaping.

But Spireites broke the deadlock on 55 minutes when COOPER attacked the near post to meet Humphreys’ corner and send a powerful header into the roof of the net.

Spireites went in search of a second soon after and a flowing move saw Humphreys with a chance to shoot, but his drive was deflected wide of the goal.

From the resulting corner, the ball broke for Hird who beat his man and sent a rising shot towards goal that Davies reacted quickly to tip over and prevent his side from going two behind.

Fleetwood were looking for a foothold in the game and almost got it when Brown’s left footed curling effort forced Lee to make the save to his right. Sarcevoc was put through by Matt but Lee was quick off his line to make the block and Hird turned the loose ball behind.

Chesterfield almost snatched a second when Darikwa’s cross tempted Porter but the striker was unable to make a solid contact that would have surely beaten Davies. Fleetwood were handed a lifeline when referee Keith Stroud pointed to the spot after Sarcevic got the wrong side of Evatt, but Hughes’ penalty went high and wide of the target.

A deep cross from the right picked out PARKIN at the back post. The sub controlled instinctively and smashed a low drive past Lee to level.