Spireites FT: Chesterfield 2 Wycombe 0

Goal boys: Ollie Banks and Armand Gnanduillet
Goal boys: Ollie Banks and Armand Gnanduillet

It was Tommy Lee’s day today,a man of the match performance on his 200th league game for Chesterfield and a victory.

Lee, wearing the armband as he reached a significant milestone for the Spireites, showed neat footwork early on to evade the challenge of McClure as the stopper looked to clear his lines while under pressure.

Chesterfield players observe a minute's silence for the four people who lost their lives in the tragic house fire at North Wingfield

Chesterfield players observe a minute's silence for the four people who lost their lives in the tragic house fire at North Wingfield

Lee was soon called in to action when Knott cut in from the left touchline and unleashed a dipping right-footed effort that the keeper scooped up with minimal fuss.

It kicked the hosts into action and a quick interchange between Ryan and Banks midway through the opposition’s half saw Ryan pick out Gnanduillet with an inch-perfect chip behind enemy lines.

The tall striker had escaped the attentions of Doherty and trapped the ball dead before swinging his right-foot at the ball, which was straight at Wycombe’s keeper, Ingram. Gnanduillet had more time than he thought and would have been forgiven for taking a touch.

Spireites were beginning to find their rhythm and had another sight of goal when Roberts spotted O’Shea’s burst in to the penalty area, but Stewart recovered and slid in with a timely challenge to prevent the Irishman from getting a shot away with just Ingram to beat.

Wycombe looked to break quickly and when Ryan was uncharacteristically crowded out in the centre circle the Spireites looked stretched. The midfielder made amends, however, tracking back and was first to Cowan-Hall’s cross into the box to clear.

The visitors continued to press and Knott expertly pulled the ball out of the air and chipped a ball over Cooper’s head but it was just too far ahead of Craig, who was in the clear.

Chesterfield almost handed Wycombe the lead when Evatt’s pass across goal was intercepted by Craig. Fortunately for the former Blackpool man, Cooper threw himself at the ball to make a brave block and bail his fellow centre half out of trouble.

And it proved to be a telling block as just moments later the hosts took the lead.

O’Shea found a yard of space down the right touchline and sent an inviting centre that BANKS met with force to power a header past Ingram from six yards, with the keeper rooted to the spot.

Two deliveries from the right in quick succession caused havoc in Chesterfield’s area as the hosts failed to clear, first from Cowan-Hall then from McCoy, and when the ball broke for Knott his volley was partially blocked. The winger refused to give up, though, and presented Lewis with a chance to shoot from the edge of the area that the midfielder sliced wide. A second let off for the hosts. Again, Cook’s side made them pay.

GNANDUILLET this time rose highest to power home Roberts’ outswinging corner to double Chesterfield’s lead at the break.

Wycombe had a glorious chance to pull a goal back early after the re-start when Knott and Craig played a neat on-two around the Spireites defenders, which saw Knott with just Lee to beat. But the keeper stood up and made the save from inside his six-yard box.

A heavy challenge between Evatt and Cowan-Hall left both players feeling the effects. The Chesterfield defender was booked for the late tackle.

Cowan-Hall seemed reluctant to re-enter the pitch but was in the thick of things again soon after. Knott’s flick-on was chased by Craig and fired across goal, narrowly missing the outstretched leg of the flying winger.

A chipped ball in to the box caused more confusion for Spireites, and, when Stewart angled a ball across goal, Talbot had to alert to clear the danger under pressure.

Former Chesterfield man Morgan replaced McClure just before the hour-mark shortly before Cook re-shuffled the pack with McFadzean and Darikwa on in place of Banks and O’Shea.

Morgan dragged a left-footed shot narrowly wide.

Doherty stole a yard to meet Scowen’s inswinging corner but directed his header wide of the post. Lee smothered a long range shot from Morgan under pressure with two yellow shirts running in looking for scraps. The stopper was quick off his line to cut out Wood’s through ball.

Wycombe had a late penalty claim turned away when Kretzschmar went to ground in his attempts to reach a cross from the left.