Spireites FT: Chesterfield 0 Mansfield 1

editorial image

Spireites lost their unbeaten record, and to their arch-rivals.

The Proact was rocking but Cooper was calmness personified when he flicked a long ball forward back to Lee.

It settled Spireites down and, with their first meaningful attack of the game, Roberts’ deep cross caused confusion in the Mansfield backline and Jennings had to be on hand to turn the ball behind for a corner.

A training ground move from Roberts along the byline to O’Shea saw Ryan cross from deep to the back post that Hird headed over the bar under pressure.

Chesterfield were having the better of the opening exchanges and another slick move in midfield involving Roberts and O’Shea presented Ryan with an opportunity to strike from 25 yards that he duly accepted. The midfielder, still looking for his first goal in a blue shirt, unleashed a thunderbolt that had Marriott scrambling left across his goal to turn behind at full stretch.

Mansfield had to wait until the 13th minute to have their first meaningful effort on goal when Howell pounced on a loose ball to chest and volley, but his strike was never troubling Lee in the Spireites’ goal. Back came Chesterfield and Doyle almost reaped the rewards of his own good work when he chased down Humphreys’ cross, which had beaten the men in the middle. The striker fired a shot that Marriott had to be alert to tip over his bar from the angle.

The hosts could have taken the lead during a spell of sustained pressure that the Stags survived by the skin of their teeth. A flowing move from right to left saw Humphreys with space to deliver a fierce ball across the six yard box that only needed a touch, Roberts recovered the loose ball and sent a low ball in that Marriott palmed away. Ryan saw his resulting drive blocked among a sea of bodies for another corner. Marriott flapped but got back up to deny Roberts’ volley from the angle.

Chesterfield’s best chance of the half fell to Doyle who sprung the offside trap and latched on to Roberts’ through ball, but the forward struck his shot close enough to Marriot for the keeper to palm his shot away.

Clucas fired just wide of Lee’s left hand post before the visitors took the lead on 36 minutes through ANDREW.

The powerful striker rose highest unchallenged to nod home from six yards to send the visiting army of supporters into ecstasy.

Mansfield almost doubled their lead moments later when Clucas rolled the ball to Hutchinson, who beat his man and fired a shot across goal that rebounded off the post with Lee well beaten.

Roberts was doing his best to pull his side level and the winger beat a couple of challenges and got to the byline to cross for Morsy to head against the woodwork from close range.

Paul Cook played his part from the touchline to try to get the crowd to raise the noise levels early after the interval. The Kop duly obliged and it nearly paid immediate dividends when Darikwa fired a dangerous ball across the six yard line between defenders and keeper, but there was no-one there to tap in a certain goal.Another fierce drive from Ryan from the edge of the area was blocked by Dempster who went down in a heap.Stags had a glorious chance to double their lead when Tafazolli headed wide eight yards from goal after an inviting centre from Jennings.

Spireites were looking for inspiration and Roberts almost supplied it when he smashed another shot that Marriott parried to the feet of Morsy who went to ground under close attention from the visiting defence. Referee Robert Madley put the whistle to his mouth but to the disappointment of Chesterfield blew for a free-kick in the opposite direction and booked Morsy for simulation.

Gnanduillet, not long on the pitch after replacing Darikwa, fired a low effort that looked like it would sneak into the bottom corner only for Marriott to get a hand to it. Doyle collected the loose ball and crossed to the back stick for Humphreys to volley over the bar. McSheffrey struck a free kick from the edge of the area that was blocked.

The temperature continued to rise and Roberts was sent off for an of-the-ball incident deep into injury time to cap a disappointing day for the home side.