Spireites FT: Bury 0 Chesterfield 2

Jay O'Shea appears to be tripped in the box, booked for diving by Tina Jenner
Jay O'Shea appears to be tripped in the box, booked for diving by Tina Jenner

BURY were first to threaten when Harrad forced Lee into a smart save at his near post from an angle after Jones had run from the edge of one 18-yard box to the other unchallenged.

The hosts continued to dominate the opening exchanges before a neat move from Chesterfield resulted in Ryan having a sight of goal from 25 yards.

The midfielder’s driven shot whistled just wide of Lainton’s right hand post.

Bury should have taken the lead when Jones’ inviting centre caused confusion in the visitors’ back line.

Cameron bundled the ball towards goal but somehow Lee found himself in the right place at the right time to smother the ball.

The Spireites began to find their feet and a spell of possession was a welcomed relieve for the defence. Morsy shifted the ball out wide to Roberts who tried to work a sight at goal but in the end was crowded out.

Soares should have put Bury ahead moments later when he collected a pull back from the right and cut inside but, with the goal gaping from four yards, he sliced the ball high and wide of the target.

The game was beginning to open up and O’Shea became the first man in the book when he was adjudged to have dived in an attempt to win his side a penalty.

Lee had to be on his toes to make an acrobatic save to prevent Cameron’s speculative volley from putting the hosts one up at the break.

Half-time: Bury 0 Chesterfield 0

Patient build up at the start of the second half saw Roberts presented with a chance to get a shot off from the edge of the area.

But, on his weaker foot, the winger sliced his shot well wide of Lainton’s goal.

But the Spireites travelling support were soon cheering when O’SHEA found space down the right and ran at Bury skipper Roberts. The Irishman twisted one way and then the next before cutting inside and curling a left foot shot into the far corner of Lainton’s goal to give Chesterfield the lead.

The hosts looked for an immediate response and only some last ditch defending from Hird and Talbot prevented Harrad and Soares from levelling.

. Hird took a knock for his trouble but was given the all clear to continue from the physio.

Togwell’s afternoon came to an end when he was replaced by the returning Smith, who slotted in at left back with Humphreys moving forward into midfield.

The Spireites were lifted by the goal and began to spread the ball around with confidence, though it was a long ball from Humphreys that set up their second.

RICHARDS showed a turn of pace to leave the centre backs trailing and held the ball up before cutting inside of Hinds and firing a low drive into the bottom corner of the net to double Chesterfield’s lead.

There was an air of belief running through the Spireites side, helped by the vocal 1,179 away fans.

Another quick break from the visitors almost saw them grab a third when Humphreys was a whisker away from connecting to O’Shea’s forceful cross-come-shot.

Richards left the action to a standing ovation as Doyle came on to make his debut for Chesterfield.

The striker was on the pitch a matter of minutes before he was on the other end of a heavy challenge from Beesey, which saw the defender go into the referee’s book.

The second goal took the stuffing out of Bury, who, in a rare move forward in the second half, almost got a goal back through luck more than judgement when Jones’ cross had Lee back peddling frantically before landing on the top of the net.

Chesterfield’s midfield trio of Ryan, Morsy and Humphreys passed the ball around neatly as they looked to see the game out.

The makehift defensive duo of Hird and Edwards had kept Harrad and Grimes quiet throughout and will give manager Paul Cook a nice headache for Wednesday’s Capital One Cup first round tie at Leeds United.

Edwards threw himself on the line to block Soares’ powerful drive late on after the winger had skipped inside Talbot. Roberts thought he had sprung the offside trap from Smith’s defence splitting pass, but the linesman’s flag stopped his advances.