Snaps revive past times

Chesterfield FC apprentices and young professionals in 1984/85 with the Division Four championship trophy.
Chesterfield FC apprentices and young professionals in 1984/85 with the Division Four championship trophy.

Former Chesterfield FC apprentice Andy Crowther has searched his attic to unearth an old photo featuring a number of familiar faces with the Division Four Championship trophy 26 years ago.

Andy is pictured on the bottom right of the front row and was captured with the other Spireites junior professionals and apprentices from the mid-1980s.

Chesterfield-born Andy said: “I saw some pictures of Chesterfield winning the title in 1984/85 and it made me think of this one. It was taken in the Saltergate dressing room after the final game of the season against Rochdale when the club was presented with the trophy.’’

On the far right of the back row is Blues legend Jamie Hewitt, who is currently the club physio.

Jamie played more than 500 games for Chesterfield, a tremendous number which took him to second place in the club’s all-time appearance record.

He will always be remembered for the magnificent extra-time goal he scored in the FA Cup semi-final at Old Trafford in 1997 which earned Chesterfield a 3-3 draw against Middlesbrough and a replay at Hillsborough.

Holding the trophy on the front row is Anthony Haywood who is the current League Two grounds man of the year. Anthony was responsible for keeping the B2net Stadium pitch in pristine condition and thoroughly deserved his accolade. He was taken on to the ground staff at Saltergate and learned his trade under the watchful eye for former head grounds man Jim Smallwood

In the middle of the back row is Andy Taylor a striker who made 16 appearances. His solitary Chesterfield goal was a match winner in the 1-0 victory at Preston on the opening day of the 1987/88 season.

Dave Perry, who played 23 games, is standing on the far left of the back row while the other pair on the front row are Mickey Hoskins, who made three appearances, and Andy Wood.

Andy Crowther, now aged 43, is a contract manager for a water treatment company and he remembers that the photograph was taken at 5.15pm on Saturday, May 11, 1985.

A central midfielder, his career was cut short by a broken leg but he recovered and played semi-pro for Heanor, Worksop and Glapwell.