Last Game at Saltergate - John Sheridan
Last Game at Saltergate - John Sheridan

John Sheridan could be poised for a touch-line ban after being ordered from the dugout as Chesterfield FC slipped to a 3-1 defeat at unbeaten League One leaders Charlton Athletic.

The Blues chief slammed referee Graham Scott following the clash in London, branding his decision to turn down a second-half penalty as “a joke”.

Sheridan was sent to the stands following the 53rd-minute incident when he believed that his side should have been awarded a spot-kick.

There were loud calls for a penalty when winger Alex Mendy’s cross clearly struck the arm of Charlton defender Rhoys Wiggins.

But the Oxfordshire-based match official waved play on which led to the confrontation with the fourth official.

Sheridan said: “It was a joke decision. He gave a free kick against Talbot on the other side of the pitch and ours was an absolute blatant penalty.

“I asked the fourth official ‘how’s that not a penalty?’

“Obviously I said it in a way I shouldn’t have said it and I ended up being sent to the stand, but it was a blatant penalty and a joke decision.”

The manager has been charged with two counts of misconduct and has until tomorrow to respond.

Chesterfield trailed 2-0 at the time and Sheridan was not pleased with the way Charlton took the lead and built on it.

He said: “The two first-half goals we gave away were very cheap and we gave ourselves a mountain to climb.

“But full credit to the players in the second-half, we got right back in the game and when it got to 2-1, we were the team on top but unfortunately we just didn’t have that cutting edge to push a little bit more for the equaliser.’’

Before the match at The Valley, Chesterfield had won their last three matches, but Chesterfield’s four-match unbeaten run came to an end in South London.

Meanwhile, Middlesbrough defender Jonathan Grounds has had his loan spell at the B2net extended for two more months.

Grounds, 23, who had added additional strength to the back four, initially arrived at Chesterfield on a month’s emergency loan which was due to run out on Saturday.

Grounds will remain at Whittington Moor until November 26, a day after the away match at Rochdale.

Since making his debut at Exeter City in August, Grounds has made six appearances which have included three wins and a draw.

He was a member of the Middlesbrough Academy before signing a professional contract with Boro four years ago.

Grounds has since made 37 first team appearances and has been on loan with Norwich City and Hibernian.

l Defender Nathan Smith has been called up by Jamaica for two forthcoming international matches and will miss the Spireites’ away games at Notts County in the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy on Tuesday and the derby clash at Hillsborough against The Owls on Saturday week.

Although English born, the 24-year-old qualifies to play for Jamaica through his grandparents.