Port Vale 3 Chesterfield 2

Rai Simons' 90th minute goal for Chesterfield. Photo:  James Williamson
Rai Simons' 90th minute goal for Chesterfield. Photo: James Williamson

Goals early in each half plus a late one at the end was the story of this game and Spireites, after four straight away wins, came out second best as Rob Page’s Port Vale earned a 3-2 win.

Sam Kelly opened the scoring as Chesterfield failed to deal with a cross, Lee Novak volleyed the equaliser from a Richard Wood assist before, in the 10th minute, AJ Leitch-Smith’s deflected shot rolled beyond Tommy Lee.

Wood had an effort ruled out for offside before the break, after which the early goal syndrome continued when Anthony Grant burst through the middle to set up Louis Dodds to fire in off the post.

Home keeper Jak Alnwick, who later in the game limped off with an injury, had to tip over when Grant almost own-goaled when he got his head to Jay O’Shea’s free-kick. Sub Ollie Banks hit the bar and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake headed wide from a great position before, right on 90, sub Rai Simons converted to give Spireites late hope but despite spending almost all of the additional three minutes in Vale territory they couldn’t nick an equaliser, ending the team’s run of four straight away wins and five unbeaten here at Vale Park.

The ground had been a lucky one for Spireites in recent times, four wins and a draw in the last five visits.

Spireites had made one change to his starting 11, Drew Talbot switching to the bench with Sam Hird replacing him at right back.Port Vale: Alnwick (Neal 80), Yates, McGivern, Duffy, Dickinson, Foley, Kelly (Daniel 88), Leitch-Smith, Grant, Dodds, Moore. Subs: Purkiss, Streete, Birchall, Ikpeazu, Hooper.

Goals: Kelly 6, Leitch-Smith 10, Dodds 48

Chesterfield: Lee, Hird, Wood (Simons 73), Evatt, Jones, O’Shea, Herd (Banks 68), Morsy, Gardner (Ariyibi 60), Novak, Ebanks-Blake. Subs: Chapman, Talbot, O’Neil, Raglan.

Goals: Novak 8, Simons 90

Ref: Michael Bull (Essex)

Attendance: 4,402 (356 from Chesterfield).