Millwall 0 Chesterfield 2: Match analysis

Jay O'Shea celebrates the first of his two goals with Sam Morsy - Pic by James Williamson
Jay O'Shea celebrates the first of his two goals with Sam Morsy - Pic by James Williamson

Spireies recorded their first win at Millwall since 1981 thanks to a 17th minute crackerjack from Jay O’Shea and the same player doubled the lead deep into stoppage time.

The Irishman, on the left corner of the box, watched the flight of a ball that was looping towards him after a long spell of Chesterfield pressure. He timed his shot to perfection and the ball angled on to the far post to nestle in to the back of the net to open the scoring and with the last kick of the game he made it two from Mani Dieseruvwe’s cross.

The goal was thoroughly deserved as the red-kitted visitors had been dominant ahead of the score with Ian Evatt coming close from a Gboly Ariyibi cross but his downward header was saved.

Following the opener Millwall began to notch up some possession but they were unable to create anything resembling a chance with Evatt and Sam Hird mopping up everything.

As the break approached Chesterfield should have doubled their lead; Sam Morsy nicked the ball and played a one-two with Dan Gardner but Morsy’s one- on-one effort was blocked by keeper Jordan Archer.

Shaun Cummings had an effort blocked by Angel at the start of the second half and from then on for most of the second period Millwall dominated play but continued to find it extremely difficult to prize open the dogged Chesterfield defence.

Half-time sub Aiden O’Brien was the man that made the difference and Tommy Lee had to paw away a loose ball after a rare piece of sloppy defending.

Out of the blue Spireites broke and O’Shea, receiving from Ebanks-Blake, should have doubled his and his team’s tally but his shot was straight at the keeper.

With 15 minutes left Millwall at last created an effort on target; Jimmy Abdou cut in and shot towards the far post but the ball clipped Dan Jones to change its direction meaning Tommy Lee had to make a brilliant save, managing to somehow keep it out and he had to be lively right at the end to grab the ball before Fred Onyedinma stole it.

O’Shea ended a great day out in the Capital with his second.

Millwall: Archer, Cummings (Marquis 86), Craig, Beevers, Powell (Cowan-Hall 75), Abdou, Nelson, Thompson, Onyedinma, Gregory (O’Brien HT), Morison. Subs not used: Forde, Williams, Upson, Webster.

Chesterfield: Lee; O’Neil, Evatt, Hird, Jones; Morsy, Ángel; O’Shea, Gardner (Raglan 87), Ariyibi (Dieseruvwe 71); Ebanks-Blake (Gnanduillet 71). Subs not used: Cairns, Humphreys, Harrison, Banks.

Goal: O’Shea 17, 90+5

Ref: Darren Deadman (Cambridgeshire)

Bookings: Thompson (Millwall)

Attendance: 8,374 (508 from Chesterfield)