Match Report: Oldham Athletic 1 Chesterfield 1

Tendayi Darikwa celebrates with his teammates after making it 1-1.
Tendayi Darikwa celebrates with his teammates after making it 1-1.

Drew Talbot sent Chesterfield through to the northern area final of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy after a dramatic penalty shoot out over Oldham Athletic.

Tommy Lee, who had already saved from Danny Philliskirk, stopped Anton Rodgers after both sides had converted five from six from the spot at Boundary Park.

Tendayi Darikwa had earlier cancelled out Philliskirk’s opener during an entertaining first half.

Paul Cook made four changes to his side, the majority of them forced, which suffered defeat at home to Southend United in the FA Cup on Saturday.

And his injury-hit squad responded by pressing Oldham high up the field, which brought about one or two early mistakes from the home side.

Ollie Banks looked to make them pay from one of them and unleashed a powerful effort which narrowly missed Paul Rachubka’s right hand post.

The Latics were almost handed the lead when Liam Cooper played a blind back pass, which caught the attention of Jonson Clarke-Harris, but Lee was quick off his line to clear.

Oldham did take the lead soon after when Philliskirk controlled instinctively and turned on a six pence before striking the ball cleanly into the corner of the net.

The hosts got their reward but were guilty of taking their foot off of the gas and Chesterfield took full advantage when Darikwa headed home Talbot’s cross. The winger had gone close moments before with a rasping volley and almost doubled his tally moments after with a powerful drive.

Philliskirk tested Lee shortly after the break before Clarke-Harris shot wide. He struck a powerful free kick which Lee was equal to diving low to his right after he had been brought down by Sam Hird 30 yards from goal.

The Spireites keeper was again called into action when Jonathan Grounds weaved his way past a couple of challenges and sent a thunderous shot to the far corner.

Latics substitute Adam Rooney got the better of Cooper and forced Lee into another vital save low down at his near post before referee Kevin Wright turned away the home side’s protests for a penalty late on against Ritchie Humphreys.

Chesterfield will face Fleetwood Town in the area final over two legs for a place at Wembley.