Colchester United 2-1 Chesterfield (Final)

Colchester United vs Chesterfield - Sam Clucas is mobbed by teammates - Pic By James Williamson
Colchester United vs Chesterfield - Sam Clucas is mobbed by teammates - Pic By James Williamson

More than 250 Chesterfield fans endured some nasty weather conditions to get to Essex this evening - so were hoping their team would repay their loyalty against Colchester.

And they only had to wait 55 seconds!

Sam Clucas potted a sweet left footer from the left side of the box to the bottom right corner to give them the early lead.

It was his second goal in two matches and followed a smart ‘one-two’ with Olly Banks.

But the visitors could not maintain the momentum for 90 minutes and eventually ended up with nothing to show for their efforts.

Chesterfield had started the night in eighth position in League One, eight places above the home side, at the Weston Homes Community Stadium.

Home skipper Magnus Okuonghae started on the subs bench but came on after five minutes replacing the injured Frankie Kent.

The Spireites, who loaned striker Armand Gnanduillet to Tranmere on Monday, had won one of their last six games before tonight’s kick off.

And they had to be on their toes when George Moncur fired in an effort from outside the box.

But on 18 minutes they could have been two up, with Jay O’Shea going close. The visitors wre dominating possession and on the half hour, Banks (Chesterfield) had a right footed shot saved from outside the box and then the same player sent a header just wide.

The half time break interrupted Chesterfield’s influence on the game though and Rhys Healey levelled from outside after work from former Sheffield Wednesday loanee by Sanchez Watt.

Colchester were filled with confidence now and Watt drove through the middle before blasting a shot just wide of the right hand post.

The game seemed to swing back to Chesterfield, with O’Shea’s cross well smothered from goalkeeper Walker.

But with four minutes to go a real sickener: Freddie Sears finding the top right corner.

Paul Cook’s men poured forward, and they had one effort cleared off the line.

But sadly, it wasn’t to be: and it was a long journey back for the 252 Spireites fans.


Colchester: Walker. Watt, Gilbey, Sears, Eastman, Clohessy,Massey, Moncur, Kent,Fox, Hewitt.

Subs: Lewington, Gordon, Okuonghae, Eastmond, Healey, Bonne,Szmodics

Chesterfield: Lee; Darikwa, Evatt, Margreiter, Jones; Morsy, Ryan; O’Shea, Banks, Clucas; Doyle.

Subs: Hunt, Raglan, Humphreys, Johnson, Lamb, Gardner, Boco

Referee: Darren Sheldrake (Surrey.)

Attendance: 2,718