Chesterfield 2-2 Rochdale FT

Action for the Proact tonight
Action for the Proact tonight

Chesterfield were hit by a late double blow tonight, to deprive them of three points over a promotion rival.

Paul Cook’s team had gone 2-0 up after 70 minutes.

But they conceded a late penalty, had a man sent off and then had to settle for a point.

Rochdale, who started the evening in second place, held on to it by the skin of their teeth.

Chesterfield, who were unchanged from Saturday, have gone up to fourth in League Two.

Oliver Banks had the game’s first main chance, but he headed wide.

Then Tommy Lee thwarted a header from Dale striker Ian Henderson.

It was a breezy start to match the conditions - but the home fans had their head in their hands when Marc Richards squandered a great chance.

However, that was forgotten on 40 minutes, when Jay O’Shea fed Gary Roberts who executed cleanly with his left foot, for 1-0.

Sam Hird replaced Drew Talbot at half time and the Spireites were almost caught out when Ian Henderson shot from the right side of the box, but the attempt went over.

On 68 minutes, the game looked to be safe for Cook’s men.

A scramble in the Rochdale penalty area saw Richards strike home the second goal of the evening.

Chesterfield seemed confident in possession as they closed Rochdale off. But it was a deceptive appearance.

The busy Henderson converted a penalty after Richards handled on the goal line. And Richards was duly sent off.

Peter Vincenti then levelled on 92 minutes following a cross from Henderson.

Quite a sickener for the 5,000 Chesterfield fans.



Lee; Talbot, Evatt, Cooper, Smith; Ryan, Morsy, O’Shea, Banks, Roberts; Richards. Subs: Dunbavin, Hird, Humphreys, Darikwa, Gardner, Doyle, Gnanduillet.


Lillis, Rafferty, Lancashire (c), Hogan, Lund, Done, O’Connell, Cummins, Dicker, Bunney, Henderson. Subs: Thomson, Bennett, Eastham, Vincenti, Donnelly, Allen, Rose.

Ref: Andy D’Urso

Att: 5,078

Read Matt Brooks’ assessment in tomorrow’s Star.