Chesterfield 1-1 Hartlepool United

Ritchie Humphrey lines up against his old club Hartlepool. Pic by Tina Jenner
Ritchie Humphrey lines up against his old club Hartlepool. Pic by Tina Jenner
Share this article

League Two leaders Chesterfield were held to a draw by ten man Hartlepool today.

Andy Monkhouse was sent off for the visitorson 68 minutes.

Paul Cook had made just one change to their starting line up which began the game against Exeter City on Friday.

Armand Gnanduillet came back in to the side at the expense of Callum McFadzean to partner Marc Richards in attack, as Spireites manager Paul Cook stuck with a 4-4-2 formation against Hartlepool.

There were welcome inclusions on the substitutes bench which saw Liam Cooper and long term absentee Nathan Smith make a return to the match day squad.

However, there was no room for Sam Morsy, who was included in the 18 against Exeter, and the influential Gary Roberts in their recoveries from injury.

Ritchie Humphreys lined up to face his former club, Hartlepool, who he represented over 500 times during a 12-year stay.

The last time Pool were in town they were hit for six in a FA Cup Round One tie in November 2012 shortly after Cook had been appointed Chesterfield boss.

Colin Cooper’s side made two changes from the 1-1 draw against Burton Albion with Brad Walker and Jonathan Franks included in the starting eleven.

Chesterfield were first on the score sheet, Tendayi Darikwa volleying home a right footed shot from the side of the box to the bottom left corner following good work by Marc Richards.

Oliver Banks then had a header saved in the centre of the goal.

But the second half was only three minutes old when James Poole broke clear and Sam Hird hauled him down for a penalty for the visitors.

Matty Dolan planted the ball past Tommy Lee, who almost got his hand to the effort.

Neil Austin could have given the visitors the lead, but his right footer was too high.

Both teams worked hard to fashion more chances in an end to end encounter.

Andy Monkhouse went to ground inside the Chesterfield area but the referee booked him for diving.

And the former Rotherham United player was red-carded on 69 minutes for a foul on Talbot.

Dolan, the 20-year-old midfielder on loan at Pool from Middlesbrough, was the most dangerous threat to the home side.

And both goalies had to be on their toes as the game ended in a tie.

Read Matthew Brooks’ assessment in tomorrow’s Star.

Attendance: 7,680 with 588 from Hartlepool

Chesterfield (4-4-2):

1 Lee

25 Talbot

23 Evatt (c)

4 Hird

15 Humphreys

7 Darikwa

2 Banks

8 Togwell

17 Doyle

9 Richards

21 Gnanduillet

Subs: 33 Mason 6 Cooper 22 Brown 28 McSheffrey 10 O’Shea 3 Smith 24 McFadzean


1 Flinders

2 Austin (c)

4 Dolan

6 Baldwin

7 Franks

11 Monkhouse

14 Compton

21 Duckworth

33 James

35 Burgess

38 Walker

Subs: 5 Collins 8 Walton 10 Poole 13 Rafferty 15 Sweeney 22 Holden 23 Rodney