Central Midlands: Title race hots up as Dronfield Town reach 100 not out


Dronfield Town were made to work hard for their three points on Saturday by last season’s champions Westella Hanson.

Goals from Rich Mintoft, Cal Mawbey and new signing Scott Bates sealed a crucial 3-1 win for Town at Stonelow that keeps the pressure on AFC Mansfield at the top of the Central Midlands table.

There was nothing between both teams in the first half, with the wet pitch cutting up making it very difficult for players to keep their feet.

Mawbey shot just over from 20 yards and Bates forced the keeper into a smart save with his legs before Ritchie Marples rattled the crossbar on the stroke of half time.

Town were in control after the break and took a deserved lead midway through the second half when skipper Mintoft headed home a superb Tom Carnall cross.

Mawbey doubled the host’s lead with a 20-yard screamer before Westella pulled a deserved goal back to set up a nervy last five minutes.

But the tension was relieved when new recruit Bates scored Dronfield’s 100th league goal this season to make it 3-1.

Meanwhile Glapwell produced a fine attacking performance to match their best result of the season with a 6-0 win over Thoresby Colliery Welfare at Fourth Avenue.

On a good pitch, given the recent wet weather conditions, Glapwell produced an excellent display and could have won far more convincingly.

Matt Timson headed wide after a good move early on before two Josh Goodhand corners caused confusion in the visitor’s defence.

The deadlock was broken, however, on 28 minutes when Matt Timson slotted past the keeper.

Jordan Jones’ emphatic finish doubled Glapwell’s lead after a flowing team move just before the break.

Glapwell continued to press in the second half and made it three when Josh Goodhand headed home from Ross Murcott’s free-kick.

It was four minutes later when Jones got his second after being played in by Robert Mawer, as the floodgates opened.

Ross Murcott then made it five for Glapwell before Josh Goodhand scored his second and Glapwell’s sixth.

Clay Cross Town’s first home game in five weeks was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.