Astonishing run of draws goes on for Chesterfield

Chesterfield's astonishing sequence of National League draws continued '“ the Spireites coming from behind to secure an eighth successive stalemate with a 1-1 draw at Eastleigh this afternoon.

Saturday, 24th November 2018, 4:32 pm
Updated Saturday, 24th November 2018, 5:35 pm
Picture by Gareth Williams/; Football; Vanarama National League; Eastleigh FC v Chesterfield FC; 24/11/2018 KO 15.00; Silverlake Stadium; copyright picture; Howard Roe/; Jordan Hallam is mobbed after netting on his debut to make it 1-1 at Eastleigh

Trailing to a 12th-minute header, Chesterfield staged a rousing comeback to equalise through Jordan Hallam.

They almost nicked it late on when substitute Sam Muggleton hit the bar, but had a massive stoppage-time escape themselves when Eastleigh hit the inside of the post.

Chesterfield were caught napping by Eastleigh’s first training ground set piece.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ben Williamson touched on a right-hand corner from the influential Mark Yeates and central defender Alex Wynter buried a header into the far corner to give Eastleigh a 1-0 lead.

Hallam, catching the eye on the left, saw a speculative 25 yarder saved low down by Max Stryjek and Jonathan Smith saw a deflected shot go out for a corner.

But Chesterfield were looking second best and were fortunate not to fall further behind in the 16th minute.

Again they struggled to defend a Yates corner and goalkeeper Callum Burton brought off a brilliant one-handed save to deny Eastleigh’s Paul McCallum.

Gradually Chesterfield began to gain a foothold in midfield and when Lee Shaw got the better of Reda Johnson, Stryjek pulled off a brilliant save at the striker’s feet.

Three minutes before half-time Chesterfield equalised.

Jerome Binnom-Williams, who made some penetrating runs on the left, picked out Hallam and from 15 yards out the Sheffield United loanee curled the ball home to send Chesterfield in level.

McCallum ought to have restored Eastleigh’s lead at the start of the second half but, having been presented with a one-on-one opportunity with Burton, took too long to pull the trigger and dragged his shot wide.

Martin Allen threw gangling 17-year old Levi Amantchi into the mix and almost immediately the youngster’s power unsettled the Eastleigh defence.

But the main danger came at the other end as Williamson and Yeates fired shots into the side-netting and McCallum had a shot saved.

In a frantic finale, Sam Muggleton came off the bench to curl a delicious shot against the Eastleigh bar, while in stoppage time, Chesterfield twice had massive escapes.

First Burton made a superb diving save to deny Yeates – the rebound falling to McCallum, who drilled a follow-up shot against the inside of the post and, agonisingly, across the goal-line and away to safety.

That is now 18 National League games without a win for Chesterfield, but they are also unbeaten in 111 outings.

EASTLEIGH: Stryjek, Hare, Johnson, Boyce, Wynter, Jones, Miley (Gobern 80), Yeates, Hollands, McCallum, Williamson (Dennett 86). SUBS NOT USED: Flitney, Baughan, Bearwsh.

CHESTERFIELD: Burton, Barry, Maguire, Hollis, Binnon-Williams, Rowley, Smith, Weston, Hallam, (Muggleton 76), Shaw (Amantchi 58), Denton. SUBS NOT USED: Anyon Kiwomya Reid

REFEREE: Carl Brook.