Cooper nets treble for Normanton

A gluepot of a pitch, on which the lines were barely visible, was hardly conducive to good football.

However, NORMANTON VILLAGER adapted better to the conditions than opponents CORONATION CLUB to maintain their promotion push from Division Two.

Striker Jay Cooper put the home side in front when played through after only three minutes, but there were no further goals by the break.

The same player doubled his side’s lead shortly after the restart. The visitors had had numerous shouts for a penalty-kick that the referee had turned a deaf ear to, but he succumbed when Steve Holdstock tumbled under a challenge inside the area.

Up stepped Dan Holmes who missed from the spot. Within a couple of minutes, the same player had made handsome amends when scoring with a spectacular Rooney-like overhead kick, but hopes of a comeback were eclipsed when that man Cooper scored again to complete his hat-trick and finish off the game 3-1.

MARLPOOL WHITE LION stay top after a hard fought encounter with DERBY ATHLETIC. The sides were locked at 4-4 at the interval, but the home team asserted in the second half to run out 6-4 winners.

Kev Marrow was the unfortunate one having scored all four of his team’s goals only to finish on the losing side.

Ian Baggaley, Kev Fowler, Nick Scuffins (2), Cory Bowler and Ashley Draper got the goals for the victors.

Neighbours MARLPOOL UNITED meanwhile were on the wrong end of a 0-5 score line when they played host to CODNOR MINERS ARMS.

Matt McGinnis, Scott Moss and Nick Milne got the goals that secured BULLS HEAD a 3-0 victory margin over HAYLOFT.

A Jonathan Barlow hit from the half way line was the highlight of HOLMEWOOD FCs 1-1 draw with NEW WHITE BULL.

The low point was Matt Fantom’s penalty miss.

In Division One, LEABROOKS CORNER suffered a 3-8 reverse at the hands of RAINBOW INTERNATIONAL for whom Stuart Ryan, Jake Watson (2), Adam Iliffe (3) and Nigel Haslam featured on the score sheet.

Adam Coleman (2) and Drew Moseley (penalty) replied for the well beaten home team.

WESTWOOD ROYAL OAK maintained their push for the title by eclipsing the recently improved RAILWAY (Alfreton).

Damien Curran, Garren Haslem, Jamie Gittens (2) and Elliot Jones got the goals in a 7-3 win. They were also helped by an own goal.

RIPLEY WHITE LION strengthened their position at the top of Division Three by beating OUT OF TOWN 4-0; Andrew Eley, Darren King, Anthony Clark and the evergreen Ian Cope getting the goals.

HILCOTE MW are still in search of their first point of the season. They came very close on their trip to SOUTH NORMANTON BLUEBELL but were finally undone 1-0 after an amazing strike from Sam McDowell.

NORMANTON UNITED secured their place in the season’s first cup final when defeating AMBER ATHLETIC 2-1 in their Jack Vickers Cup tie. Paul King got Amber’s goal.

In the Junior version of the DCFA Cup, SHIRLAND MW went out 0-5 to a strong GREAT ROCKS (Buxton) side.