Codnor put Holmewood to the sword

The welcome was more intimidating than inviting for CODNOR MINERS who made the trip to HOLMEWOOD MW for a second division match.

The home team made an aggressive start but were undone by the skill and finishing of Matt Wright, who opened the scoring with a header, and striking partner Matt Wilders.

The two continued to open up the opposition defence with impunity, but Wilders particularly was guilty of missed chances that would have put the game to bed.

Matt Vincent, though, showed him the way to goal by stretching the lead to 3-0, and a Holmewood missed penalty kick meant that was the half time score.

Second half substitute Tom Hawkins added two more goals as Codnor continued their domination, and Lewis Gough came off the bench to claim his first goal for the club and complete the 6-0 whitewash.

NORMANTON VILLAGER beat NEW WHITE BULL 4-2 to maintain their perfect start to the season. The win was built on the back of a Richard Lee hat-trick; Craig Greaves getting the other. Lance Woodhouse and Dale Rayner scored for the visitors.

SEVEN STARS and SOUTH NORMANTON BLUEBELL were goalless at the break but Liam Dolan put the home team ahead following the resumption.

Bluebell strove hard to retrieve the situation, and could count themselves unfortunate not to have got get a point from a game that Nathan Bolin made safe when he popped up in the last minute to notch a second goal for his side.

In Division One, SHIRLAND MW proved too strong for FC WELFARE 1925. Richard Harrison (2), Andrew Spencer, Adam Bellamy and Guy Taylor (2) got the goals in a 6-3 victory.

CRIB BAR secured their place in the next round of the Solar Press Cup at the expense of RAINBOW INTERNATIONAL over whom they triumphed 4-2.

The home team started like an express train and were three goals to the good inside the first ten minutes. Adam Nicholls started the ball rolling with Kyle Wadsworth adding two more that included the goal of the game.

Rainbow hit back and had the home team rocking as first Steven Guilor, and then Scott Swanwick with a penalty kick brought them to within touching distance. However, Adam Nicholls chipped in for his second goal and although he contrived to miss a penalty kick, Crib had done enough to get through.

SOUTH WINGFIELD exited the competition at the hands of ALFRETON VICTORIA who needed an extra time goal to secure the win. Dave Fretwell, Jay Miles and Matt Tongue strikes were in vain as Craig Brooks, J J McNaughton, Adie Whitmore and Daniel Callender all got on the score sheet for the visitors.

In the Kurburgring Bowl, CORONATION CLUB ran in nine against MARLPOOL WHITE LION’s two. Ant Storer (3), Richard Groves (2), Sam Belfield, Wayne Goodall, Tom Rimmington and Mick Martin helped themselves to the goals; Simon Elrick getting both for the visitors.

In a much tighter affair, BULLS HEAD went down 0-2 to MARLPOOL WHITE LION for whom Adam Moss and Luke Meakin were the goal scorers.

AMBER ATHLETIC beat DEVONSHIRE ARMS 5-2 in the Jack Vickers Cup. An Ashley Edkins hat-trick paved the way; Paul King weighing in with the other two. Karl Amlett and Jack Williams were on the mark for the away side.