Bosworth beaten by high-flying Matlock

Midlands Two East (North)

Tuesday, 30th September 2014, 11:25 am
Action from Matlock v Market Bosworth on Saturday. Photo by Brian Eyre

Matlock 39 Market Bosworth 10

Matlock proved too strong for Market Bosworth on Saturday as they ran out 39-10 winners at Cromford Meadows.

With Bosworth also boasting maximum points to date there was an expectation that this would be a close fought match, but from the kick-off Matlock were immediately on the attack and asking questions of the Bosworth defence.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

George Whittaker registered the first points with an early penalty but it took until 25 minutes to register the first try when a patient build up saw Scott Robinson power his way over near the posts. Whittaker added the extras.

Another Whittaker penalty extended the lead but Bosworth then used their main weapon of catch and drive to get on the scoreboard, going over from a line-out close to the Matlock line for an unconverted try, Matlock 13-5 up at the break.

Whatever was said at half-time soon brought results as Matlock began playing with a pace and power that Bosworth found difficult to live with.

Bosworth kicked long to relieve the pressure and Whittaker was quick to punish them, breaking through the oncoming defence before passing to Luke Howard who fended off the first would be tackler before showing a clean pair of heals as he raced away for his first try. Whittaker converted.

The lead was extended when, from a line-out, Matlock put together a great passage of rugby including strong carries from Dan Hooton and Lewis Richardson before Matt Goodall hit a good line and smashed his way through the last defender to score a great try. Whittaker again converted taking the score to 27-5.

The home side were now fully in the ascendency and following some great running lines by Luke Croft and Atkinson the ball was shipped to Ben Neville who broke through the defensive line before sending Howard scurrying away for his second try. The conversion attempt was just wide.

To their credit and against the run of play Bosworth scored next in the corner, the try unconverted, but Matlock were back on the scoreboard minutes later as Whittaker again scythed through the defence and great support play saw the home side stopped just short of the line, but a patient series of pick and drives saw Richardson eventually go over for the final score.

Whittaker capped a fine display by adding the extras and completing Matlock’s victory.