It is not correct that the Trebor Factory, on Brimington Road, ‘was famous for making sweets for more than a century...’ (Derbyshire Times, February 2).
The factory was actually opened during the Second World War, presumably as a contingency against bombing.
The Trebor factory was at Forest Gate and though bombed, it continued in production throughout the war and into recent times.
Messrs Robertson and Woodcock, as they were then known, already knew of Chesterfield. The Derbyshire Times of July 28, 1939, reported that the company had bought five acres of land in Sheffield Road – opposite the B.T.H. (later Dema Glass) recreation ground – for a factory. The war must have scuppered the Chesterfield plans.
Trebor’s Brimington Road site is connected with the Chesterfield Brewery Company, which built a brewery there in the 1850s. Interested readers are referred to John Hirst’s book Chesterfield Breweries. After the brewery closed in 1935 George Kenning Ltd, of Clay Cross, bought it for a garage.
The Derbyshire Times in March 1939, revealed that car radios were produced at the old brewery, by William F. Brown Radio Ltd, in conjunction with Kennings.
The April 1978 Trebor newspaper Working Together, stated that in 1941, the old brewery was acquired for packing sweets and storing unused production machinery from Forest Gate. Later in the war years (probably 1942) sweet production was started in a small way.
‘Regal Crown’ was the name used for Trebor products in the USA. In 1978 the top products were strawberry, raspberry and cherry. At that time, two new product ranges were developed specifically to appeal to American children. ‘Sourberries’ incorporated the said three ranges, with orange, lemon and lime flavours. They were marketed by Broadway Confectioners, owned by the then Trebor Sharps Group.