What to do if your dream holiday runs into a snag

I booked a luxury hotel room for my package holiday, but arrived to find it wasn't available. I spent the week in a standard room instead. I've reported this to my travel agent. Am I entitled to any compensation?

Sunday, 9th September 2018, 7:39 am
Roger Naden, Citizens Advice Derbyshire Districts.

Roger Naden, advice services manager with Citizens Advice Derbyshire, said: “Your holiday was lower in value than what you booked. This means you should be able to get compensation for your inconvenience and any extra costs incurred.

“Contact the customer services department of the company you booked your holiday with by email, letter or via the company website. Make sure to keep a copy of what you send.

“Explain what went wrong and how much compensation you want. This should be the difference in cost between the luxury room and the standard room, any costs incurred from staying in the standard room, and what you feel is reasonable compensation for your inconvenience. Make sure you keep receipts for any extra expenses.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“If the company refuses to pay compensation, or you don’t think its offer is good enough, check whether the company is a member of the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA). ABTA should be able to mediate between you and the company.

“If the company is not a member of ABTA, look for an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). This is an independent third party who can help you reach a resolution without going to court.

“If you paid by credit or debit card, contact the Financial Ombudsman who can mediate.

“If you need any more information, or are unsure of your next steps, give us a call or contact the Citizens Advice consumer service on 03454 04 05 06.”

Citizens Advice Derbyshire Districts offers free, confidential and independent advice on any subject.

Call in to the office at Town Hall, Bank Road, Matlock, which is open from Monday to Thursday, 10am to 4pm and Friday, 10am to 2pm, or call 0300 4568390, weekdays 9am to 4pm.