Two pubs in Chesterfield have been banned from selling alcohol for 48-hours after selling alcohol to children on two occasions in a three-month period.
The Royal Oak on Chatsworth Road was banned from selling alcohol between 8pm on Friday, November 30 and 8pm on Sunday, December 2.
Joplins on the Market Place was also stopped from serving between 8pm on Friday, December 7 and 8pm on Sunday, December 9.
Derbyshire Constabulary issued the ‘closure’ notice to the pubs for ‘persistently selling alcohol to children’; an offence set up under the Licensing Act 2003.
It is after both premises failed two test purchases which were carried out earlier this year by Derbyshire police and Derbyshire Trading Standards.
Two 16-year-old volunteers took part in the tests which were carried out at the Royal Oak on Saturday, August 25 and Saturday, September 29 and at Joplins on Saturday, September 29 and Saturday, November 3.
PC Akeel Hussain of the police licensing team at Chesterfield said: “It’s important that we carry out test purchases to protect children from harm and also to prevent and reduce alcohol related anti-social behaviour.
“I hope that this will reinforce the message that we will take positive action against any licensed premises that break the law.”
The closure notice is an alternative to prosecution and restricts the premises from selling alcohol for a 48 hour period, instead of being taken to court for the offence.
PC Hussain added: “With the busy Christmas period on the way I would also encourage licensed premises to be extra vigilant and to encourage staff to ask anyone who looks under the age of 25 for ID.
“This will make it harder for young people to obtain alcohol illegally and help bar staff stay within the law.”
Under the Challenge 25 initiative, people who appear to be under the age of 25 will be asked to show correct photographic ID in order to buy alcoholic drinks.
Posters and notices are available for premises to display. For more information contact the Chesterfield police licensing team on 101, the non emergency number.