1735-7 - A parish workhouse was erected in Chesterfield on the south side of the Bowling Green at the south of the Market Place.
1767 - Forty-two Derbyshire parishes (some of whom would later form part of the Chesterfield Poor Law union) voluntarily formed themselves into the Ashover Union.
1777 - A parliamentary report recorded local workhouses in operation at Chesterfield, Ashover, Barlow, Dronfield and Eckington.
1832 - Assistant Poor Law Commissioner Mr R Pilkington investigated the operation of the poor laws in Derbyshire. He criticised Chesterfield for providing relief to the able-bodied without work being demanded.
1837 - Chesterfield Poor Law Union came into existence. Within months plans began proceeding for a new workhouse.
1837 - Land on Newbold Road opposite Trinity Church was purchased for 700 from Joseph Gratton. To reduce costs the original plans were amended to leave out a block for 'idiots' and 'imbeciles'. The final cost of building and fitting out the workhouse was around 10,000 but the builders had anticipated a cost of 6,245 and went bankrupt during the work.
1839 - The new Chesterfield Workhouse received its first inmates on December 9.
1866 - The workhouse received a visit from Poor Law Inspector R.B.Cane whose report stated that 'the rain was dripping through the ventilators', 'in one ward there were seven small children eating their dinners on the floor', , and 'altogether this infirmary was in a disorderly, uncleanly, cheerless and comfortless condition'.
The workhouse later became part of Chesterfield's Scarsdale Hospital and in 2001 was redeveloped into residential accommodation.