Thug is jailed after attacking three people

A thug who attacked two people and a police officer during a foul-mouthed fracas on a Buxton street has been put behind bars.

Tuesday, 17th May 2016, 11:50 am
Updated Tuesday, 17th May 2016, 12:51 pm
Sam Johnson, 21, of Hanover Towers, Stockport, pleaded guilty to three counts of assault and one of threatening behaviour in Buxton and has been jailed for 12 weeks.

Buxton magistrates’ court heard on Monday, May 16, how Sam Johnson, 21, was spotted attacking a woman after a witness heard shouting and swearing among a group of people at Heath Grove, near Cote Heath Park.

Prosecuting solicitor Rod Chapman told a previous hearing held at Chesterfield magistrates’ court: “A witness reported a violent incident at Heath Grove after he heard shouting and swearing from the recreation ground.

“He looked across and saw two women and five men all arguing.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“A man from the group punched one of the women in the face and he punched her again causing her to fall to the ground.

“The person responsible was arrested and we know him as Sam Johnson.”

The court heard how another witness said he saw Johnson punch the woman in the face and as the witness tried to intervene, the defendant threw further punches at him.

Mr Chapman also added that as Johnson was restrained by a police officer the defendant kicked the officer in the shin.

Johnson, of Hanover Towers, Stockport, pleaded guilty to three counts of assault and one count of threatening behaviour after the incident on February 26.

He also admitted failing to surrender to custody on March 16 while he was on bail and he had to be re-arrested by police on a warrant.

Defence solicitor David Gittins requested that Johnson be allowed a report with the probation service for the courts to consider all the defendant’s full circumstances before sentencing.

The case was adjourned until April 25 and was further adjourned until May 16 for Buxton magistrates’ court to consider Johnson’s personal circumstances and any mitigation.

Magistrates jailed Johnson on May 16 to 12 weeks of custody. He was also ordered to pay an £80 victim surcharge.