Fire chiefs are urging homeowners to take extra care in the kitchen over the winter months.
Since April, firefighters across Derbyshire have attended 142 cooking-related blazes which have resulted in 40 people suffering burns or the effects of smoke inhalation, the death of one man and significant damage to property.
Steve Helps, of Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service (DFRS), said: “Historically we attend a higher number of incidents within the home during the winter months.
“Blazes as a result of cooking contribute significantly with half of all accidental fires in the home starting in the kitchen.
“This is often because of distractions like phone calls, family or the latest TV plot line.
“So when you’re cooking keep yourself and your family safe.”
DFRS advises people to take pans off the heat if they have to leave the kitchen, check the cooker is off when cooking is finished and keep tea towels and cloths away from appliances.
It also advises people to have a working smoke alarm on every level of their home and to test it weekly.