Swerving drink-driver was over three times the limit as she drove to railway station

A motorist who was more than three times the drink-drive limit when she lost control of her vehicle on the way to Chesterfield railway station has been given a suspended jail sentence.

Thursday, 9th August 2018, 8:59 am
Updated Monday, 13th August 2018, 11:31 am
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on August 8 how Kelly Benton, 40, of Ashover Road, Inkersall, Chesterfield, had been reported to police by another driver after they had spotted the defendant swerving along the road and hitting a kerb.

Prosecuting solicitor Lynn Bickley said: “A witness followed Mrs Benton driving her vehicle from Chesterfield Road, Brimington, to Chesterfield railways station and he observed her vehicle swerving along the road and it hitting a kerb.”

Benton gave a reading of 123 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath when the legal limit is 35 microgrammes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

She pleaded guilty to exceeding the alcohol drink-drive limit after the incident on June 21.

Defence solicitor Kevin Tomlinson said Benton is a resident in Hong Kong but was visiting family in Chesterfield when she had driven to the railway station to collect her husband.

He added: “The incident occurred as a consequence of Mrs Benton having consumed an amount of alcohol before setting off from the family home in the Inkersall area to collect her husband from Chesterfield railway station and she drove her vehicle with no one in it with her only intention to collect her husband.”

Mr Tomlinson added that Benton is recovering from alcohol addiction and had suffered a relapse but she is due to receive treatment as an inpatient.

He added: “Mrs Benton has been distressed at the prospect of coming to court and she wishes to apologise to the court for her actions and she realises they were wrong and she realises the seriousness of it and assures you it will not happen again.”

Magistrates sentenced Benton to eight weeks of custody suspended for 12 months and banned her from driving for 30 months.

She was also ordered to pay £85 costs and a £115 victim surcharge.