Road-side tributes honour deceased Alfreton motorcyclist

Pictured is the crash scene on the A61 near Higham where motorcyclist Anthony Church, of Alfreton, lost his life.
Pictured is the crash scene on the A61 near Higham where motorcyclist Anthony Church, of Alfreton, lost his life.

Tributes and flowers have adorned a 40mph sign at Higham near to where a young motorcyclist lost his life in a tragic road crash.

An inquest was opened at Chesterfield coroner’s court today, Monday, January 20, into the death of motorcyclist Anthony Church, of Preston Avenue, Alfreton.

The 21 year-old had been travelling from Alfreton towards Chesterfield on the A61 road on his red, Honda CBR 600 when the collision happened just after the Goose Green Lane and Strettea Lane crossroads at Higham, about 6.35pm, on Tuesday, January 14. Derbyshire Constabulary has launched an investigation.

Pc Andrew Prince, of the East Midlands serious collision investigation unit based at Ripley, told the inquest: “For some reason he lost control and parted company with his machine.

“He came off on the off-side and crossed over the central white hazard lines into the opposite carriageway and he collided with the front of a vehicle travelling in the opposite direction towards Alfreton.

“He struck the front of the vehicle. I believe he was actually trapped under the vehicle for a time.”

An ambulance attended the collision, according to Pc Prince, and Mr Church was pronounced dead at the scene by a paramedic at about 6.55pm, on Tuesday, January 14.

Among one of many floral tributes at the crash scene, one card reads: “Cannot accept life can be so cruel. Love you so much. Mum and Scott.”

Another reads: “You will always be on my mind. You have been the bestest brother that I could ever ask for. Love you forever.”

Pc Prince added: “Investigations are continuing and witnesses are still sought. Anyone with information that might be of value is urged to get in touch with us.”

Police stated the car involved in the collision was a blue Vauxhall Astra and the road was closed and re-opened just after midnight, at about 12.30am, on Wednesday, January 15.

Assistant Coroner for Derby and Derbyshire, James Newman, adjourned the inquest for a date to be fixed to allow for further investigations.

Those with information should call Derbyshire Constabulary on 101.