Road rage driver attacked man after wing mirror collision

Chesterfield magistrates' court.
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

A road rage driver grappled another car passenger to the ground after his victim had started taking photos following a collision.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Tuesday, February 16, how Hayden Williams, 35, assaulted Aaron Poole on Milnhay Road, at Langley Mill.

Prosecuting solicitor Mark Kennedy said: “Mr Poole was a passenger in his brother’s car which was driving along with Williams’ car coming in the opposite direction and their wing mirrors connected and Mr Poole’s car wing mirror smashed and Williams’ wing mirror bent in.

“The cars pulled up and parked next to each other and Williams started to have a go at Mr Poole’s brother who asked Mr Poole to take a photo of Williams’ car.

“Williams told Mr Poole to give him his phone and that he was not taking photos and he lunged at him and tried to grab the phone and as Mr Poole turned away Williams grabbed Mr Poole in a bear-hug.”

Mr Kennedy added that Williams forced Mr Poole to the ground and he struck the left side of his head on a pavement kerb and forced his head down.

Williams dragged Mr Poole along the pavement, according to Mr Kennedy, and locked his arm around his neck and Mr Poole released his phone as he thought he was going to pass out.

The defendant told police he had asked for insurance details which had been refused and as Mr Poole began taking photos Williams said his blood was boiling.

Williams said he had called police because Mr Poole had no right to take photos and as he pulled the phone back he was shoulder charged.

He admitted restraining Mr Poole but did not accept pulling him to the ground and added that his arm had slipped around his neck and he did not intend to choke him.

However, the defendant, of Scargill Walk, Eastwood, pleaded guilty to the assault after the incident on August 8, last year.

Defence solicitor John Wilford said: “There was a collision and Mr Williams asked for details and they were refused and Mr Poole took photos and there was an altercation.”

Magistrates sentenced Williams to a one year community order with 130 hours of unpaid work.

He was also ordered to pay £150 compensation, £85 costs and a £60 victim surcharge.