REPORT: Chesterfield FC v Swindon Town

editorial image
Share this article

CHESTERFIELD kicked off and made a very bright start by creating a goal scoring chance as early as the fourth minute.

Drew Talbot sent in an inch perfect near post cross from the right and Jack Lester got infront of his marker for an on-target header which was straight at the Swindon keeper.

Jordan Bowery had a run at goal but was tackled as he was about to shoot.

From the resulting corner, Bowery hit the bar and Lester followed up to fire the rebound over the line. But the whole move was flagged offside.

Swindon also had their chances and Joe Devera headed narrowly off target before Lee Holmes cut inside from the left to shoot wide.

Chesterfield had a close call when Holmes had a shot deflected off Josh Thompson before being saved for a corner by Tommy Lee in the 27th minute as Swindon stepped up the pace.

There were worries for Chesterfield in the 33rd minute when Lester went down in the centre circle and had to receive treatment from physio, Jamie Hewitt.

These concerns deepened two minutes later when the veteran striker went down again before limping off with a leg injury.

He threw his captain’s armband to Talbot and was replaced from the bench by striker, Craig Westcarr.

HALF TIME SCORE: Chesterfield FC 0 - 0 Swindon Town

Chesterfield took the lead a minute into the second half.

Bowery had a shot blocked by the keeper before Alex Mendy took possession of the loose ball on the left hand edge of the penalty box.

He crossed into the centre and Craig Westcarr put pressure on Swindon’s Oliver Risser, who put the ball into his own net, scoring an own goal for Chesterfield.

CURRENT SCORE: Chesterfield FC 1 - 0 Swindon Town

The goal rattled Swindon and this was demonstrated when Alan Connell argued with the referee over a contested decision. He was booked for his troubles.

Just before the hour, Westcarr had a glorious chance to make it 2 - 0 when he received a lovely pass from Thompson which just left him with just keeper Wes Foderingham to beat.

But the Chesterfield number 9 rushed his shot and pulled it right of the far post.

Mendy also came close with a spectacular overhead free kick which narrowly cleared the bar and flew into the roof of the net.

Westcarr had another chance to score in the 73rd minute but he shot wide when he had a clear sight of goal. But with just a minute remaining, Swindon came close with a Connell header. But Lee made an acrobatic save to tip the effort over the bar.

In the fourth and final minute of time added on, Chesterfield made it 2-0 to seal their cup victory. The scorer was Westcarr who beat the keeper with a low right foot shot.

FULL TIME: Chesterfield FC 2 - 0 Swindon Town

For pictures, click the link on the right.