The principal at Chesterfield College has pledged to make improvements at the education centre after its latest Ofsted report.
An inspection of the college - which took place in February and published on Monday - rated the college overall as ‘requires improvement’. The previous rating was ‘good’.
But the college has been praised in other areas including apprenticeships.
Reacting to the report, Julie Richards, principal and chief executive of the Chesterfield College Group, who took on the role in March last year, said: “The Ofsted report has highlighted the college’s strengths and areas of good practice in programmes for apprenticeships, adults and students with higher needs, confirming our status as a safe and welcoming place to study and one of the most successful apprenticeship providers in the UK.
“In response to the judgement that study programme provision requires improvement, the college’s new leadership team have pledged to further develop teaching and learning. This includes support and training for our teaching staff to deliver an outstanding student experience and meet the high expectations of Ofsted in all areas.”
She added: “Our response and intent will ensure that our areas of good practice are replicated throughout every part of the organisation. A focussed improvement plan has already been developed and implemented with the pace and rigour required to achieve this.”
Some of the key findings state:
- Much of the teaching is ‘not good enough’ and ‘dull’ and ‘uninspiring’
- Too many teachers do not have high enough aspirations for their learners
- Managers’ actions to improve the performance of staff have had limited effect
However, the college was found to have strengths such as:
- Apprentices, adult learners and learners with high needs make good progress
- Learners and apprentices have good opportunities to improve their employability
- Learners’ behaviour is good, and the college is welcoming and inclusive
- Most learners enjoy attending college and grow in confidence because of their experiences
The full report can be viewed on the Ofsted website.