Police chased down speeding motorist in high-paced pursuit

A speeding motorist sparked a police chase through a town after he was spotted by a patrol car.

Monday, 26th September 2016, 8:43 am
Updated Tuesday, 4th October 2016, 2:06 pm
Chesterfield magistrates' court.
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Tuesday, September 20, how Dale Lee-Ray, 21, of Park Road, Belper, came to the attention of police on Kilbourne Road, Belper.

Prosecuting solicitor John Cooper said an advanced driver with the roads policing unit at Ripley was on uniformed patrol abut 2am, on August 3, when he became aware of a motorist driving a Citroen Saxo up to 50mph in a 30mph zone along Kilbourne Road.

Mr Cooper said: “Insurance checks were carried out for the vehicle as it went on to John O’Gaunts Way and the officer tried to stop the vehicle by putting on his emergency equipment. But the driver continued along John O’Gaunts Way and this vehicle increased its speed to 70mph in a 30mph zone. It was a residential street with parked vehicles. The vehicle went into Ashop Road and into Over Lane where it was doing 60mph with more parked vehicles along the road.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The defendant then went the wrong way around a keep-left area, according to Mr Cooper, and drove along Sandbed Lane before turning right down a track near Kirks Lane and was forced to stop at a gate.

Mr Cooper added: “The officer saw two occupants climbing over the gate and running away but the defendant was later arrested.”

The incident was described by Mr Cooper as an aggravated police pursuit involving speeds of up to 70mph in a 30mph zone, in a residential area with parked cars and a passenger. Lee-Ray pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, driving without a licence and without insurance.

Defence solicitor Ben Strelley said: “It was in the early hours of the morning but it was very quiet. It’s not accepted it took place over a pro-longed period. If he had stopped the vehicle instead of panicking he would just be looking at driving without insurance and a licence.”

Magistrates committed the case to Derby Crown Court for sentencing on October 11.