Man spared jail over indecent texts to teen

editorial image

A MAN who sent sexually provocative messages to a schoolgirl after becoming “besotted” with her has been spared jail.

Michael Yates, formerly of Stanhope Street, Doe Lea, sat in Chesterfield magistrates’ court with his head bowed as 14 of his text messages were read out.

The court heard how Yates, 41, texted that he thought about the 14-year-old girl all the time and had asked her to meet him secretly for a bit of fun, saying he wanted “a snog” and to feel her bottom.

Lynn Manning, prosecuting, said the girl told her mother about the messages after feeling scared and worried, and police were informed.

“He said in interview that for the past few months his long-term partner Becky hadn’t been showing him any affection and he became frustrated.

“He said he became increasingly attracted to the girl and sent her messages encouraging her to meet him for a kiss and a cuddle and some female affection, but at no point would it have led to full sexual intercourse,” said Ms Manning.

Yates, who was moving from a bail address in Derby to live in Newbold, Chesterfield, admitted inciting a girl to engage in sexual activity by sending indecent text messages at Doe Lea from last December.

District Judge Andrew Davison imposed a three-year probation supervision order and 120 hours of unpaid work with £85 costs. Yates was also placed on the sex offenders’ register for five years and he must pay £250 compensation to the girl, who cannot be identified.

“You became inappropriately besotted with her and there was clearly some emotional manipulation. But there was no sexual activity and it was out of character. These offences are thankfully uncommon,” Mr Davison told him.

Matt Evans, for Yates, said: “He is entirely remorseful about his behaviour towards this young female. He has no previous convictions and he describes his experience of these proceedings as a five-month nightmare.

“He has had to move out of Doe Lea and he has lost his job through relocation. He hopes to get back into work when the dust settles.”

Mr Evans told a previous hearing that Yates had written a letter apologising to the girl and her family, and his own family intended to stand by him.