Two lifesavers have backed a new hard-hitting campaign highlighting the importance of first aid.
Chesterfield men Daniel Ravey and James Sharman have hailed St John Ambulance’s emotional drive to raise awareness about learning the vital skills.
A shock film – which aired on primetime TV over the weekend – told the tragic story of a cancer survivor who died at a family gathering as nobody knew basic first aid.
Mr Ravey, 26, of Newbold, who learned first aid as a St John Ambulance cadet, saved his 15-month-old daughter Lillie’s life when she started choking on a biscuit.
He said: “It was very scary having to use first aid on my own child – but I knew I had to do it to save her life.
“I hate to think what might have happened if I hadn’t had first aid training.”
Walton man Mr Sharman recognised the warning signs when colleague Kirsty Johnson went into anaphylactic shock after eating a peanut sauce during a work night out.
The 25-year-old, who has been a St John Ambulance volunteer for three years, said: “I recognised the symptoms from my training and I knew there was no time to lose so I drove Kirsty to Chesterfield hospital immediately.
“Apparently they told her that if it had been five minutes longer she could have died but thankfully she’s made a full recovery.”
Throughout September, St John Ambulance staff are holding free first aid demonstrations at the Pavements Shopping Centre, Chesterfield, between 10am and 3pm every Thursday and Friday.