LETTERBOX HORROR: Derbyshire councillor’s finger is bitten off by dog

Jean Innes.
Jean Innes.

Half of a councillor’s finger was bitten off by a dog as she posted leaflets through a letterbox.

Jean Innes lost the top of her middle finger on her right hand while she was out canvassing in Old Whittington earlier this month.

Jean, a Chesterfield borough and Derbyshire county councillor, is now calling for dog owners to fit letterbox guards to prevent the grisly attack from happening to anyone else.

She said: “I pushed some leaflets through the letterbox and I felt something sharp pull my finger.

“I was in a lot of pain and shock.

“I still can’t quite believe it happened.”

Jean spoke to the dog’s owner – an elderly lady who was also left traumatised – before being rushed to hospital.

Emergency operations to stitch Jean’s finger back together were unsuccessful.

She has been left unable to write or drive following the incident but hopes to make a full recovery within the next few weeks.

Labour politician Jean, of Highland Road, New Whittington, added: “I’m concerned this could happen to someone else.

“We often take children and grandchildren out with us – it could have been one of them.

“Nobody should be exposed to these dangers.

“I’d urge all dog owners who have a pet which tends to respond to the post aggresively to ensure they fit a letterbox guard to prevent this type of thing from happening to anyone else.

“I hope that some good comes out of this awful situation.”

Chesterfield MP Toby Perkins is backing her calls for action. He said: “Those few seconds have had a huge impact on Jean’s life – she will have to re-learn how to write differently and put up with the physical and psychological pain.”