A Holmewood pet owner says she is “appalled and shocked” after her cat was shot at close range with an airgun – and only survived thanks to a lifesaving operation.
Four-year-old cat Milo was shot through the stomach with a 2.2 pellet in Holmewood, sometime in the evening of October 15.
Vets who examined Milo said his injuries showed the cruel perpetrators had shot him at arms-length range.
Milo’s owner, whose asked not be identified, said: “I am appalled and shocked that somebody could be so cruel.
“Why would anybody shoot an innocent cat? There’s absolutely no reason for it at all.
“His injuries could have been fatal. Luckily the pellet just missed his liver. But if it had hit his liver he would have died.”
She added: “The worst thing is the vets said he was shot from an arms length away.”
The owner said Milo came back to home around 6pm and she immediately noticed he was bleeding.
She took him straight to emergency vets, who commenced lifesaving surgery on Milo.
“The pellet went through his intestines and went through his stomach twice,” said the owner.
“Vets had to open him up and stitch his stomach together.”
She added: “I just want to know why on earth they would shoot a cat. There is no need at all.
“The scariest thing is that it could have killed or seriously injured a young child.”
She said that Milo is now recovering and is off medication.
“The vets have said that he can go outside now,” said the owner. “But, to be honest with you, I’m too frightened to let him outside.”
The RSPCA will be providing a statement in due course. We will, of course, republish the story when it arrives.