A Derbyshire teenager who contracted meningitis has released graphic photographs to reveal the devastating impact the disease can have.
Charlene Colechin, 18, from Inkersall, almost died from the disease and still might have to have her feet amputated.
The hairdresser posted these graphic photographs to her Facebook page on Tuesday asking people to share them in order to raise awareness of how serious meningitis can be.
She said: “These are not nice photos but this is the reality of what meningitis can do.
“I had the worst type of meningitis you can get - what was happening outside my body was happening inside my body, poisoning my blood.
“It made all my organs fail which was causing me to die but they brought me back.
“Because they were concentrating on reviving the top half of my body they left the bottom half which has damaged my feet especially my toes.
“Now I could end up losing my feet but I will definitely be losing my toes.”
So far, Charlene’s Facebook post has attracted 500 reactions, 400 shares and hundreds of comments.
One, Imigen Newton, said: “My sister had the same thing as a baby - it’s such a horrible nasty thing! I can’t imagine how your feeling, keep fighting! Thinking of you and your family!”
Another, Aimee Grozier, said: “Jesus, I can’t begin to imagine what you have gone through! But I have so much respect for you raising awareness for this!! Keep fighting and get better soon hun!”
Doctors at Chesterfield Royal Hospital saved Charlene’s life after she was admitted early in September and she is now being cared for at Northern General Hospital in Sheffield.
According to the NHS Choices website, meningitis is an infection of the protective membranes that surround the brain and spinal cord.
If not treated quickly the infection can cause life-threatening blood poisoning and result in permanent damage to the brain or nerves.