Fire boss urges people to keep out of derelict buildings after major blaze at disused Bolsover site

Fire chiefs are urging people to stay away from derelict buildings following a major blaze at the former Bolsover District Council offices.

Saturday, 17th November 2018, 10:20 am
Updated Saturday, 17th November 2018, 11:24 am
Firefighters tackle the blaze at the former Bolsover District Council offices

The hard-hitting warning comes after firefighters from Clowne, Staveley, Chesterfield and Shirebrook spent several hours tackling the fire at the derelict Sherwood Lodge site on Wednesday evening.

No one was injured in the incident but extensive damage was done to the roof and the building’s structure.

And Derbyshire Fire Rescue Service area manager Bob Curry says the blaze once again highlighted the dangers of entering derelict buildings.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He said: “Thankfully nobody was injured during this incident, however this could have been very different.Insecure disused buildings pose a serious risk to anyone who enters them.

“Sites such as this are often in serious states of disrepair and have a number of potential dangers within them. Those entering these types of site are leaving themselves vulnerable to serious injury and even death. They are not playgrounds and should not be treated as such.”

In September 2017, Adam Johnson died after falling through the floor of a disused building in Derby.

The tragedy came just six months after a 19-year-old man fell through the roof of a building in Ambergate.

Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service has recently produced Derelict which can be viewed here.

The film aims to underline the dangers of entering derelict and disused buildings, raising awareness to young children who may see the buildings as a place to explore - and not a place of danger.