Family's tribute to Chesterfield taxi driver who died after assault at Manchester Airport

William Brent Taylor
William Brent Taylor

The family of a Chesterfield taxi driver who died after an assault in a car park at Manchester Airport have thanked those who helped him in his final moments.

Police were called to reports of an assault in a car park at terminal two of the airport at just after 8.25am on Friday.

Chesterfield taxi driver dies after altercation at Manchester Airport

Taxi driver William Brent Taylor, 57, was taken to hospital, where he sadly died.

Mr Taylor - known as Brent - is believed to be from Holmewood and worked for A-Line Taxis.

Paying tribute to him, his family said: "First of all, can we say thank you to the family that was with our dad at his final moments.

"We would like to thank the emergency services for all their efforts with our dad and GMP who have been amazing with keeping us informed and up to date.

“Dad will be home soon so our family can try and come to terms with the circumstances and we’d ask that people please refrain from pointing the blame and let the police do their job.

“We will miss him so much and respectfully ask for time to grieve as a family.”

Detective Chief Inspector Carl Jones, of GMP’s Major Incident Team, said: “We are continuing to support William’s family who are understandably devastated by their loss.

“Our investigation to establish the exact circumstances surrounding this incident remains ongoing and I would ask anyone with information that could assist our enquiries to please get in touch.”

Writing on Facebook, A-Line Taxis said: "Brent was a true gentleman, with a huge heart who was loved by all at team A Line & to most, was not only a work colleague, but also a friend. We are all shocked & in utter disbelief to have lost such a wonderful, kind & caring friend, he will be missed so much.

"We would like to send our love & support to Brent’s family, especially his children, Shaun & Lauren, at this extremely difficult time.

"We are totally heartbroken."

Two men, aged 55 and 26, were arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and have been released under investigation.

Enquiries are ongoing.

Anyone with any information should call police on 0161 856 0250 quoting reference number 455 of 06/04/18, or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.