Expert’s warning over drug

NDET 13-6-12 RKH 2 Floral tribute 375 George street Langwith.
NDET 13-6-12 RKH 2 Floral tribute 375 George street Langwith.

An expert has warned that mephedrone users are playing “Russian Roulette with their safety” following the death of a Langwith man who is thought to have taken the deadly drug.

Simon Binfield, of George Street, was rushed to hospital earlier this month.

The 40-year-old was pronounced dead at King’s Mill Hospital and police believe he may have taken amphetamine and mephedrone.

Mephedrone, which has street names including M-CAT and meow meow, was made illegal two years ago following a string of deaths linked to the powder.

Prior to the ban it was widely available in shops and on the internet.

Despite being outlawed, Derbyshire Police’s drugs expert, Steve Holme, fears drug dealers are continuing to sell the substance.

Speaking after the death of Mr Binfield, he said: “People think that these stimulant drugs, such as mephedrone, are safe but they have all sorts of dangers, including increased pressure on the heart.

“Users are playing Russian Roulette with their safety.”

An ambulance was called to Mr Binfield’s home address on the morning of Friday, June 1.

He suffered a heart attack in the ambulance on the way to hospital and was later pronounced dead.

A second man, 18, from Langwith, was suspected to have taken amphetamine and mephedrone with Mr Binfield and was admitted to hospital. He was later released.

A 23-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of supplying drugs.