‘Evil monsters ruined mum’s last months’

editorial image

The daughter of an elderly woman who lost all her confidence after being conned by fraudsters has spoken out about her mother’s ordeal.

Valerie Shaw, of Farley Hill, Matlock, had a tear in her eye as she recalled the tragic final few months of her mother, Mary Wallace’s, life.

NDET 11-10-12 MC 4'Mary

NDET 11-10-12 MC 4'Mary

Right into her 90s, Mrs Wallace had adored life – she was happy and independent.

But after the innocent pensioner was targeted by Virgo Healthcare Limited, her life was never the same again.

“Those evil monsters completely ruined the last 18 months of my poor mum’s life,” Mrs Shaw said.

Staff from the firm visited Mrs Wallace at her Calow home after they ‘cold called’ her in October 2010.

They spent nearly four hours intimidating Mrs Wallace and eventually pressured her into handing more than £500 for a bed she didn’t need.

Mrs Shaw informed police and trading standards officers about the incident after her tearful mum phoned her about her ordeal.

Despite numerous attempts by Mrs Shaw and her partner, the company did not refund any money for the bed.

Mrs Shaw said: “My mum was a totally different person after this.

“She didn’t want to do anything – she was terrified about leaving the house because she was worried she’d return home and they’d be there waiting for her. She didn’t sleep and she lost weight.

“Mum became a bag of nerves and her personality completely changed.”

Mrs Wallace died aged 95 in February after never getting over the nightmare inflicted upon her.

The bosses of Virgo Healthcare Limited have appeared at Derby Crown Court facing charges of conning elderly and vulnerable victims out of more than £40,000.

The husband and wife team, Amarjit Gill, 50, and Ranjit Gill, 44, of Brackenfield Drive, Giltbrook, Nottingham, admitted to 25 charges of fraud.

David Messom, 27, of Maws Lane, Kimberley, Nottingham, and Samuel Routh, 26, of Wilkinson Close, Chilwell, Nottingham, who were employed by the Gills as managers, also pleaded guilty to nine fraud charges and eight fraud charges respectively.

The fraudsters were due to be sentenced at Leicester Crown Court today but the hearing has been postponed to Monday, December 17.